• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Best rules for chases

Bình

Unregistered user
Validated User
Like the title says, what games or systems have the best rules for chase scenes? Chases are a major type of action scene in fiction, but they seem to be a minor sidebar or even completely overlooked in a lot of adventure games.

What are the best chase rules you've seen and how did they work? What made them so good? I'm looking for something that offers some meaningful choices, something more than "My turn again? Ok, I guess I'll make another running roll and hope it's high." I also want something simple, so no "It's a car chase, so let's clear the floor and play a game of Car Wars with 1-second turns that take 5 minutes to resolve!"

Fenris-77

Validated User
Several system use clocks for this sort of thing, and for chases I like competing clocks. Every success fills up a space on the clock, and when when the clock is full the fleeing person escapes, or catches up, whichever fills first. The trick is to allow the PCs to make wagers in some fashion - rolls to use abilities or skills to slow their opponent down or speed themselves up. Consequences are easy - failure on the wager can have negative effect (remove a space on the clock). If you're just making running checks it sucks and is boring. You need to make the players make meaningful decisions - you can add shortcuts, work in three dimensions, use the scenery - there are lot of ways to present obstacles that are more interesting than just a series of running checks. Just set the size of the clock to whatever seems appropriate, although err on the side of to short over too long.

Here I'm using wager as shorthand for checks or rolls in any system so long as there is a chance of failure. Systemsthan regularly adjudicate partial success, like PbtA for example, bake the appearance of obstacles right into the roll, which is useful, but you can run the above in just about any system.

Cmdr_Bonehead

Validated User
The old James Bond RPG (recently retro-cloned as Classified) has the reputation for having the best chase rules. It uses a bidding mechanic where each party decides how much they are willing to risk, and the side who risks the most goes first.

Ophidimancer

Validated User
I particularly like Contests in Fate, especially the part where a tied roll in any exchange causes an unexpected twist in the situation.

The Pat

Validated User
Nights Black Agents has an interesting chase system. Not only does it offer multiple “maneuvers” from your drive/athletics skill, but it also includes rules on how to use other abilities to influence the chase (e.g. hacking the traffic control system to switch traffic lights)

Heavy Arms

Validated User
To add to the list, the Chronicles of Darkness's Chase system. It's probably not really the "best" but it's a very light layer on top of the normal resolution mechanics, with just enough extra to make things interesting. It's basically the clocks method mentioned by Fenris, with the big wagering over something it calls the Edge. The side with the Edge dictates the flow of the Chase, letting them push what's being rolled in their favor and/or alter the 'size' of the clocks as what matters changes.

While you have to make up the modifiers yourself, it also adapts really well to a lot of thing that aren't traditional chases. Anything that's two sides competing that's not directly harming/stressing the other side can work well with it.

Mr_Sandman

Validated User
The old James Bond RPG (recently retro-cloned as Classified) has the reputation for having the best chase rules. It uses a bidding mechanic where each party decides how much they are willing to risk, and the side who risks the most goes first.
Yeah, this is a great chase system. It worked even with asymmetric chases, on foot vs motorcycle, or car vs. helicopter. I think the winning bidder got to choose going first or making the opponent go first, whichever they thought was more advantageous.

JimSales

Validated User
What mac40k mac40k said. Check out Daring Tales of the Space Lanes and Daring Tales of Adventure for EXCELLENT genre tweaks to the chase rules that make them incredible fun. The best I've ever used.

RSANFORD

Validated User
7th Edition Call of Cthulhu has an excellent section on game mastering chases. You can get a good taste of it here ->

Top Bottom