• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Best rules for chases

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
The two best chase systems I've ever used are the current rules in Savage Worlds Adventure Edition, and the chase rules from Feng Shui 2E. They're both brilliant in different ways.

MeMeMe

Validated User
It would be nice if people gave a description of what makes the rules they like good.

Rupert

Validated User
I like the chase rules in the GURPS Action 2 -Exploits supplement. The GM sets the initial range, which is in bands (Close, Short, etc.). The quarry (the side being pursued) chooses a manoeuvre (something like trying to shove the other side's car off the road if you're Close, or have your passengers lean out the windows and shoot, for example), followed by the pursuing side, and then the persuer's is resolved followed by the quarry's. Then, assuming nobody managed to do anything that made the conclusion obvious (pursuer crashes and burns, etc.) a quick contest of the relevant movement skills is held, modified by the results of each sides actions. Range is adjusted, and the next round occurs. Each turn is held to be long enough for someone not in the chase to do something interesting that takes no more than a minute (attempt to pick a lock, disarm a bomb, etc.)

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's not exactly an entire rule set, but Paizo put out a deck of chase cards - randomized challenges that your players might encounter during a foot (or horse or whatever) chase. They only work for fantasy/medievalist settings and it requires a certain lighthearted tone for the chase, but they added quite a bit of fun when we used them.

John

Validated User
I particularly like Contests in Fate, especially the part where a tied roll in any exchange causes an unexpected twist in the situation.
Totally agree. I ran several games where a chase was conducted using the contest rules. I remember one of the players - a die-hard crunchy d20 fan - saying, "This is way more fun than it should be" and laughing excitedly through a contest chase scene. Very effective!

There were more chase-y chase rules included in the Fate System Toolkit HERE.

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My fast and loose homebrew chase mechanics:

On their turn, each party describes an obstacle, stunt or "random" event that could help them loose, catch or wreck the opposition, and picks a difficulty. All drivers/runners/whatever roll the appropriate skill against that difficulty to exploit/thwart/avoid the described thing. When you fail three times you're out of the race - caught, wrecked, left behind or whatever failure condition is relevant to your goals. After each full round the chase moves to a new area.

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The two best chase systems I've ever used are the current rules in Savage Worlds Adventure Edition
After so many editions and so many changes, Savage Worlds has actually got good chase rules. It is the end times and the gods will extinguish the stars.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
To my continuing displeasure, I haven't ever found chase rules that I've actually liked.

Fate style contests are functional. It's a simple best of 5/ first to 3 successes roll off thingy, with an option to risk losing out on your progress by creating an advantage. Which is fine. It works. And it's certainly better than using the combat system movement for a chase (which I've found is bad in basically everything).

But I've never found any chase system to actually be good. Especially in scenes where moments of chase are interleaved with moments of taking cover and shooting at one another. Those are always exceedingly meh at best.

Majestic

The Truth is Out There
Validated User
As a few others have posted, the James Bond 007 RPG (and the retroclone Classified as well) have a fantastic chase system.

Both sides bid to a lower and lower number, and the final result ends up being the modifier that gets used for the Piloting/Driving/Running/Skill roll, I think. So the lower the number meant the harder it is going to be for both participants to pull off (and a failure means a wipeout of some kind, most likely). There was a benefit to winning the bid, too, so you could put the pressure on the other person.

Top Bottom