[Betrayal Legacy] Highly recommended! (no spoilers)

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
I'm not sure if this post will survive the new build of the forums, but:

I played through the prologue of Betrayal Legacy last night with my wife and 14 year old, and we loved it. We were all fans of the original Betrayal, but none of us had ever played a legacy game before. If you are at all interested in this one, you should definitely pick it up. Make sure to avoid all spoilers. (I'd also prefer to keep this thread spoiler free.)

A few impressions:

1. It's definitely a legacy game. You will be destroying cards, adding stickers, changing the rulebook, marking on cards, etc. as you play through the campaign.
2. Once the 13 chapters (13- spooky!) and the prologue have been completed, you will have what amounts to a customized version of a new Betrayal (complete with 50 scenarios that can be played standalone just like earlier Betrayals).
3. The narrative elements and the family histories that develop are really cool and will lend particular flavor to your copy of Betrayal.
4. This thing has been really well designed and playtested.
5. For the love of all that is spooky, avoid all spoilers.
6. Be very careful when punching out components/shuffling decks/etc. It's not that the instructions are unclear, but we're so used to punching everything out when we get a new game and shuffling every deck when we sit down to play- you do not do that here. Only shuffle when instructed to do so. Only punch out when instructed to do so. You will have, for instance, very few room tiles when you start the campaign. This is also true of Item and Event cards. You won't have any Omen cards.

Anyway, if you're on the fence, do yourself a favor and pick this one up.

Aspeon

Validated User
My group can't get together until after Thanksgiving, but I'm really excited for it.

A non-spoilery thing that's caught some groups off-guard: The basement starts the game connected to the rest of the house. (You can move between the main staircase on the ground floor and the Basement Landing) That might be the one thing diminished from the original for me- I know the situation of being stuck in the basement with no way out led to a lot of unbalanced situations, but it made the basement more interesting.

taleswapper

Validated User
There are several differences like that, but that's probably the biggest difference to start (other than the fact that there's a story deck for the campaign that lays out the setup and rules for each new chapter). I'm assuming there's no underground lake on the upper floor, but I haven't come across that tile yet, so I can't say.

There's also an outdoor level so there are 4 tiles that start in play (ground floor, upper landing, basement landing, and outdoors). The other things that I've seen catch some people off guard are that the item and location decks now have floors that they must be drawn on (so some items can only be found on the upper floor or basement or outdoors, etc) and there are now no discard piles- you simply bury the cards at the bottom of their respective draw decks.

Ooh, this sounds interesting!

I was a huge fan of the original betrayal. I was decidedly MEH on Widow's Walk. I've loved a lot of the other legacy games (Pandemic Legacy S1 and S2, Gloomhaven) and I was wondering whether this one was a good buy. (Mostly because of Widows Walk, that really soured me on Betrayals...)

Sounds like it's a good one?

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Guhh....I'm decidedly tempted. Okay, let's be honest, I know I'm going to get this at some point. But I have SO MANY legacy/campaign games I haven't been able to make much headway in...

But. But! Legacy hauntings! Building the house over time!

Curses.

taleswapper

Validated User
Ooh, this sounds interesting!

I was a huge fan of the original betrayal. I was decidedly MEH on Widow's Walk. I've loved a lot of the other legacy games (Pandemic Legacy S1 and S2, Gloomhaven) and I was wondering whether this one was a good buy. (Mostly because of Widows Walk, that really soured me on Betrayals...)

Sounds like it's a good one?
I'm playing through at least another couple of chapters this weekend, so I'll post further (non-spoilery) thoughts as I progress, but so far we're all in love.

Without going into too much detail, I'll mention that you are meant to write (and this isn't really a spoiler since you'll read it in the rules anyway and you can see the space for writing on the cards themselves) a brief note to explain the fate of your character at the end of each chapter of the campaign (so once after the prologue, and then once after each of the 13 subsequent episodes), and in this way build the history of each of the families that have come to explore the house on the hill. And one of the coolest things about the prologue for us was the way that each of our characters understood their respective fates and the truth of what happened during our prologue. We were each describing the same events but from very different perspectives. And that was a very cool experience to have in a board game.

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
One of my Arkham LCG friends picked this up to play on off-weeks. It's going to be my first full run through a legacy campaign. Can't wait to see what happens!

taleswapper

Validated User
One of my Arkham LCG friends picked this up to play on off-weeks. It's going to be my first full run through a legacy campaign. Can't wait to see what happens!
Hopefully you can each avoid spoilers. If so, I think you'll be in for a treat!

ETA: In case anyone is ever in the situation of accidentally shuffling decks that shouldn't have been shuffled- they are all numbered in the bottom left corner and can be resorted without looking at the rest of the cards. If anyone punches out the tile planks that are meant to be punched out at various points in the campaign- Rob Daviau (the game designer) has you covered. The only bit that I think would cause real issues is if you start opening doors on the Folium Infernum (otherwise known as the Advent Calendar of Doom!)- I don't think there's a good work-around for that one, so don't open any doors on the big black envelope until instructed to do so.

taleswapper

Validated User
We just played through Chapter 1 (so, with the Prologue, that means we're 2 games down out of the 14 in the campaign). I don't have much to add (at least nothing that wouldn't be a spoiler) other than that we're still loving it, and that the Legacy aspect really serves this game well. I'm looking forward to buying a copy for a friend and being able to play their copy after they've finished their campaign to see how the story of their House differs from ours.

Tumbleweed

Supporting Cast!
Validated User
So, here's a question-- both for Betrayal and for Legacy games in general.

How important is it to have the same bunch of players returning for each session? I mean, sure, you'd probably get the most mileage out of the story seeing it from the beginning, but I'm still curious. As I'm thinking about snagging the game (or, uh, at least putting it on my holiday wish-list), but I'm not sure how regular of a group I'd be able to put together, schedules and everything permitting. What do you guys think?

Top Bottom