• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[Betrayal Legacy] Highly recommended! (no spoilers)

ShannonA

RPG Historian
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wow, did my group *HATE* the prologue. It almost derailed the whole campaign, it was so despised.
Spoiler: Show

It started out with a question of "where's the mechanic?" And then a few people sussed out what was really going on and hated the transparency of the twist. Afterward, we talked a bit, and decided that the game had also totally blown up its cooperative play, not giving a real taste of how the game was meant to be played.

Hoping that the Chapter I doesn't end the game entirely with another blunder.

And none of that's meant to say whether the game is good or not, but I found it totally unmeasurable based on that first session.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
2. Once the 13 chapters (13- spooky!) and the prologue have been completed, you will have what amounts to a customized version of a new Betrayal (complete with 50 scenarios that can be played standalone just like earlier Betrayals).
Well, that is the thing that I was most worried about, so I am now 100% on board!

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
Well, that is the thing that I was most worried about, so I am now 100% on board!
We're through the first 3 chapters and the prologue at this point (doing chapter 4 tonight), and we're still loving it. It is definitely BaHotH. If you enjoyed that game, I suspect you'll enjoy this one.

Though I actually think the Legacy aspect adds a great deal to our enjoyment. We've been reminded of various of our ancestors who've died and how whenever we draw certain tiles or cards. It's really been a blast.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
My group can't get together until after Thanksgiving, but I'm really excited for it.

A non-spoilery thing that's caught some groups off-guard: The basement starts the game connected to the rest of the house. (You can move between the main staircase on the ground floor and the Basement Landing) That might be the one thing diminished from the original for me- I know the situation of being stuck in the basement with no way out led to a lot of unbalanced situations, but it made the basement more interesting.
This sounds fairly good to me, because I felt that a lot of times, it was really frustrating and annoying being stuck in the basement and poking out in the hope of getting lucky and drawing the stairs up.

taleswapper

Validated User
We're through the first 6 chapters (and the prologue) now so about halfway through the initial campaign. We're still loving it. This is the definitive edition of BaHotH as far as we're concerned, and I'd still highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed earlier versions of the game. Also, the following happened:

(I don't really think this constitutes a spoiler, but I'll be posting it in a spoiler block in case anyone wants to be totally unspoiled on any details whatsoever. Anyone who is passably familiar with BaHotH and understands how legacy games work won't be surprised by the following:)
Spoiler: Show
So, sometimes you have to destroy cards that otherwise might have been part of the game. In this case, we had to destroy some cards that could've gone into the Event deck. And while I totally understand why this happens and how this works (and think it's a really cool addition the game), we were a bit saddened by the fact that we have now destroyed both versions of the 'pass an item through the mirror' card that was so iconic in earlier versions of the game. Oh well. Those cards weren't a part of our story. They had to go.

Last edited:

taleswapper

Validated User
We finished the campaign last night. It was glorious. And now we have a customized Betrayal at House on the Hill that will always remind us of the epic journey we played through together. I cannot recommend this game enough for anyone who has enjoyed a version of Betrayal in the past. It is truly a masterpiece.

Snoopy

can't quite believe all this.
Validated User
We just played through Chapter 1 (so, with the Prologue, that means we're 2 games down out of the 14 in the campaign). I don't have much to add (at least nothing that wouldn't be a spoiler) other than that we're still loving it, and that the Legacy aspect really serves this game well. I'm looking forward to buying a copy for a friend and being able to play their copy after they've finished their campaign to see how the story of their House differs from ours.
We're at the same point, and are similarly adoring it. It's our first legacy game, and it took a little to get over writing on things and the like, but it's just So Good!

taleswapper

Validated User
Oh man. You guys are in for a treat! If I had one piece of advice to give it would be this: whenever any player has an opportunity to do something cool or interesting- take it; don't worry so much if it will be the optimal play.

You are building the history of your house and how the families are connected to it. You want it to be interesting- even if that means spectacular failures or the like. You've reminded me that we haven't played with our finished version too often yet. We'll have to break it out this weekend.

Top Bottom