• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[Betrayal Legacy] Highly recommended! (no spoilers)

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wow, did my group *HATE* the prologue. It almost derailed the whole campaign, it was so despised.
Huh. My group played the prologue on New Year's Eve, and it was so popular that we were still talking about it the next day.

Robert A. Rodger

Aspiring Kermit
Validated User
All right... has anyone played Betrayal Legacy who wasn't thrilled with the original? I am decidedly 'meh' on Betrayal... but one of my friends loves it so I've played it a bit. He is desperate to play the legacy game and, as a good friend, I'm inclined to go along, but 13 games is a hard sell for us. I'm curious if there's anyone who has had mixed or negative experiences with Betrayal... and if the changes for the legacy game improved the game. All I've heard so far is people who liked the first like or love the legacy.

ShannonA

RPG Historian
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Huh. My group played the prologue on New Year's Eve, and it was so popular that we were still talking about it the next day.
Most of the folks who didn't like the prologue thought it was blatantly and ineptly obvious what was going on.

Chapter 1 was better received, but we're still waiting for one that will knock it out of the park for us.

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
Most of the folks who didn't like the prologue thought it was blatantly and ineptly obvious what was going on.

Chapter 1 was better received, but we're still waiting for one that will knock it out of the park for us.
See, we loved it when we figured out what was going on (which was before the reveal for a couple of us). Just seeing what was being done was enough to tickle us.

Kuhan

Validated User
All right... has anyone played Betrayal Legacy who wasn't thrilled with the original? I am decidedly 'meh' on Betrayal... but one of my friends loves it so I've played it a bit. He is desperate to play the legacy game and, as a good friend, I'm inclined to go along, but 13 games is a hard sell for us. I'm curious if there's anyone who has had mixed or negative experiences with Betrayal... and if the changes for the legacy game improved the game. All I've heard so far is people who liked the first like or love the legacy.
It's a lot like the original Betrayal. The mechanics are more robust, but the basic structure is the same. Like Pandemic Season 1, there are additional mechanics but it plays the same. However, I guess it depends on what you aren't impressed with about original Betrayal.

I'm only 3 games in, though, so I don't know if there are any radical twists to the structure.

taleswapper

Validated User
It's a lot like the original Betrayal. The mechanics are more robust, but the basic structure is the same. Like Pandemic Season 1, there are additional mechanics but it plays the same. However, I guess it depends on what you aren't impressed with about original Betrayal.

I'm only 3 games in, though, so I don't know if there are any radical twists to the structure.
There are definitely some new wrinkles, but on the whole I wouldn't say there's any radical shift in the overall gameplay. The post-game content plays much like originial BaHotH. I do think there's quite a bit more going on with the campaign. But if one doesn't like the basic gameplay of BaHotH, one may not like the post-campaign content of Betrayal Legacy.

There was definitely more playtesting on this edition. Cutting down from 6 to 5 max players helped the balance. But these are differences of degree. Some people simply don't like Betrayal and those people probably won't still. Others, however, were disappointed by Betrayal, because they liked its fundamental design but felt let down by the playtesting/balance. They may very well like Betrayal Legacy.

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
We played the prologue + first two chaoters and had a blast - none of us can wait to play it again. We LOVED the prologue btw :)

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Guhh....I'm decidedly tempted. Okay, let's be honest, I know I'm going to get this at some point. But I have SO MANY legacy/campaign games I haven't been able to make much headway in...

But. But! Legacy hauntings! Building the house over time!

Curses.
That's where I'm at. I'm with a group that's been playing Gloomhaven and... Enh. I'm enjoying it but I can't say I've really missed it over the holiday break. I'd love to switch to this, but I think a different legacy would be a hard sell with everyone else already invested in Gloomhaven.

Also I have another RPG campaign I'd like to start

I think this non-spoiler review has a good overview of what it's improved on and what flaws remain: https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-betrayal-legacy

Be sure to read the comments

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My group is all of 2 games in now, but here's what I'd say so far:

It can still be VERY swingy - if the haunt starts too early, the survivors are probably screwed.

What I've found, though, is that I don't really mind that as much as I did in the vanilla game. Part of that might be just because it goes pretty quick, but part of it is that the lasting impact makes it feel more like a dark episode in an ongoing story rather than just a one-sided game. Effects from that game linger, and the specific circumstances become part of your group's specific narrative.

That's where I'm at. I'm with a group that's been playing Gloomhaven and... Enh. I'm enjoying it but I can't say I've really missed it over the holiday break. I'd love to switch to this, but I think a different legacy would be a hard sell with everyone else already invested in Gloomhaven.

Also I have another RPG campaign I'd like to start
I hear you. I've got, let's see...Gloomhaven, of course. Pandemic Legacy season 2, in which we're still only in April or so. TIME Stories, which isn't really a legacy game but is a set of narrative episodes that occur in a specific order. A Kingdom Death campaign (again, not legacy but campaign-oriented) that stalled out somewhere around the butcher encounter.

Oh, well. Hope springs eternal.

taleswapper

Validated User
My group is all of 2 games in now, but here's what I'd say so far:

It can still be VERY swingy - if the haunt starts too early, the survivors are probably screwed.

What I've found, though, is that I don't really mind that as much as I did in the vanilla game. Part of that might be just because it goes pretty quick, but part of it is that the lasting impact makes it feel more like a dark episode in an ongoing story rather than just a one-sided game. Effects from that game linger, and the specific circumstances become part of your group's specific narrative.
Your later games will definitely last longer than these earlier ones. I hope that doesn't make for a worse experience for you. On the plus side, however, those later games have more interesting things going on in terms of the legacy aspects of the game and (to a lesser extent) the haunts. The early games are quicker and simpler. In terms of the swinginess, it's still BaHotH, and I still think that folks who enjoy Betrayal are the ones who aren't as bothered by a perfectly balanced scenario- there's just no way for Betrayal to offer that experience consistently given the variables at play. (We did have some haunts begin really early though, and there are various things in this version that ameliorate some of that swinginess.) But...

If you enjoy the individual stories that develop because of those variables interacting in specific ways, no other game offers the experience that BaHotH offers (which is not to say that other storytelling board games don't exist, but Betrayal offers a very different experience than Tales of the Arabian Nights or whatever). Which is why, I can't say I'd recommend Betrayal Legacy for people who did not enjoy earlier iterations of the game. For those who did- this is the definitive edition.

Top Bottom