• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Biggest Supposed Discontinuities in Sci-Fi Franchises (no defenses!)

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Trek fans and writers have made a valiant effort over the decades to make things in TOS consistent (or explainable) with the TNG-era series, but at some point it is a lost cause.

Eric the .5b

Hail the Milleni-odel!
Validated User
Trek fans and writers have made a valiant effort over the decades to make things in TOS consistent (or explainable) with the TNG-era series, but at some point it is a lost cause.
TOS is broad-strokes enough to make that tricky within itself (what organization does Starfleet work for? Is the Federation more like NATO or the UN?), though I'd also point to TNG first season vs. later seasons (Ferengi eating their business partners and whatnot, etc.).

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Showa Godzilla very gradually changed into a very different character step by step, to the point where people in universe root for him as a very heroic type- even though not only did the original movie clearly happen (if with a different individual), but Godzilla was still a villain in Raids Again, King Kong, Mothra, and even in Ghidorah he arrives via destroying a ship for no reason save being a destructive brute. Sure his face turn is sold via words from Mothra, but by Gigan and Megalon the bad side is forgotten, and even the more serious Mechagodzilla has someone comment that they can’t believe the prophesied destroyer is Godzilla (though even so that one seems a lot different than the ones immediately before). It’s not just character development but each movie acts like Godzilla more or less hasn’t been *that* far off from the current personality.

Gamera has the same thing only a lot more so. A destructive and surprisingly dark rampager in the first movie to friend to all children and defender of earth in the others, and no Ghidorah moment of going from villain to hero on screen.

austenandrews

RPGnet Member
Validated User
They did specifically state that they are in the period where half of all life is still dead, pre-endgame continuity, but they are ignoring that in AoS. It's not part of their story.
They specifically said they're pre-Snap, largely because there was a chance the show might have aired before Endgame released. (I do however think the Black Widow movie is likely to fall between IW and Endgame.)

Re: the OP, I'd say the Mad Max movies pretty drastically moved on from the first one.

By rights Doctor Who should fall in this category, but the franchise rules are so illusory that it carries a vast and terrible body of lore without breaking a sweat.

MeMeMe

Validated User
They specifically said they're pre-Snap, largely because there was a chance the show might have aired before Endgame released. (I do however think the Black Widow movie is likely to fall between IW and Endgame.)

Re: the OP, I'd say the Mad Max movies pretty drastically moved on from the first one.

By rights Doctor Who should fall in this category, but the franchise rules are so illusory that it carries a vast and terrible body of lore without breaking a sweat.
I cant read the article you posted, since ew.com blocks europe from their pages. My recollection from the article I read is different. Any chance you can post the article on a mirror?

Doctor Who has multiple discontinuities - for example, three different explanations for the sinking of atlantis, just within the tv show, never mind tie-in books, etc. But then again, who knows what the ripple effect of the doctor meddling in time has been - maybe they all happened :)

austenandrews

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I cant read the article you posted, since ew.com blocks europe from their pages. My recollection from the article I read is different. Any chance you can post the article on a mirror?
Here's a different article with the quote.
article said:
"We're actually pre-Snap," producer Jeff Bell says.

Co-showrunner Jed Whedon echoed the sentiment, saying it was the safest way to keep the show on track.

"For the multiple reasons, we had to do that," Whedon admits. "One of the main ones being that we were not positive when season 6 would air. We were pretty sure it was going to be in the summer, but if they moved us up to January and we had tied into in any way, it would’ve destroyed everything. So the safest course of action for all parties involved was for us to stay pre-Snap."
Doctor Who has multiple discontinuities - for example, three different explanations for the sinking of atlantis, just within the tv show, never mind tie-in books, etc. But then again, who knows what the ripple effect of the doctor meddling in time has been - maybe they all happened :)
For DW, discontinuity is totally in continuity!

Azimer the Mad

Knight of Chaos
Validated User
And my personal favorite, THREE DIFFERENT LOCH NESS MONSTERS!

Shining Knight

Validated User
And of course, there's UNIT dating...

Tonbo_Karasu

Validated User
And, of course, there's the one novel where a bunch of mechwarriors fall into a wormhole and end up on a planet of intelligent bird-people which... hasn't officially been deemed non-canonical, but has been put in the 'We will never, ever, ever reference this again' category.
I actually liked Far Country. Peter L Rice is an author who does good aliens, but his talents were a bit out of place in Battletech. The 3 books he did for Renegade Legion fitted much better.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Banned
Validated User
Maybe media where retconning the history of the setting is an in-universe ability possessed by multiple parties should get a pass :).

Top Bottom