• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Birthday: Warhammer Underworlds vs Warcry or...? Help!

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Frostgrave's minis sold in the US? I was starting to watch a "lets play" but moved on to something else. I've already got Song of Blades and Heroes - how do the two differ? I've not messed with SoBH yet, mind you, and it was inexpensive.

edit: ack! d20! I'd maybe put up with that in Infinity (which is frankly too smart a game for me or so I worry), but I do like my bell curves...

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Frostgrave's minis sold in the US? I was starting to watch a "lets play" but moved on to something else. I've already got Song of Blades and Heroes - how do the two differ? I've not messed with SoBH yet, mind you, and it was inexpensive.

edit: ack! d20! I'd maybe put up with that in Infinity (which is frankly too smart a game for me or so I worry), but I do like my bell curves...
SoBH is pretty different from Frostgrave; in my opinion SoBH is a much lighter game. Frostgrave for example comes with stats for all the wizards, followers, monsters... The spell list for the wizards (or blood powers for heroes) is very extensive, it has magic items, scenarios and victory conditions... It's complete and finished game while SoBH is more of a simple framework for you to create your army lists on top of it and play one off skirmishes. Both games are very flexible though, and have quite a few expansions that add a lot of new options to them.

About bell curves, nope: the game is d20 + modifiers vs difficulty.

And for miniatures, I mostly buy from Brigade Games (for Frostgrave and for SAGA):

Noble Knight Games also carries them (they carry everything under the sun). NKG is more expensive than other online stores (still discounted from retail), but their customer support is amazingly good and I suppose they will have good shipping options to HI:

You don't have to use the "official" ones though, you could pretty much use any other mini you have.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
I'm having tons of fun with Warcry and would strongly reccomend it for casual/narrative play, as you can probably already tell from the other thread.

But in this case the question more seems to be what your friends will play, and preferably be willing to invest in themselves.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Yeah. If I can get a game that I can be assured both groups will play and enjoy? Awesome. I'm a little less concerned with buy-in since I enjoy painting the minis myself, and it keeps me out of trouble :p

For instance, I've bought all the Aristeia minis my groups play with. Now, one of them started buying their own (awesome), but I've got all I need to play.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Yeah. If I can get a game that I can be assured both groups will play and enjoy? Awesome. I'm a little less concerned with buy-in since I enjoy painting the minis myself, and it keeps me out of trouble :p

For instance, I've bought all the Aristeia minis my groups play with. Now, one of them started buying their own (awesome), but I've got all I need to play.

I would suggest Warcry over Underworlds if you're planning on supplying most of the stuff yourself. Underworlds you'll have plenty of warbands to share around but they'll all be competing for cards. For Warcry each warband is good to go, so if your friends are happy to play what you want to paint you'll be all good.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I keep trying to figure out ways to mitigate the Universal cards. The idea of them being rewards for winning (or losing) in a campaign/series came to mind.

Morsla

I mostly paint things
Validated User
You could always draft the objective and power decks before play - it'd change things a bit (both players would have some insight into which tactics the opponent wanted to use), but should give everyone fair access to the universal cards.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I'm a little surprised at the lack of feedback for Star Wars Legion. That's not a cheap one either, is it?

Top Bottom