OOC [Blades in the Dark] Orc's Tygers

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
The court side has several floors, the prison side is tall but it has high ceilings and mostly in accessible space on top not proper floors. It theoretically has room for about four or five floors underwater.

EDIT: I'll do the roll / etc. in the IC thread after work is done and I have dinner.

The court side has several floors, the prison side is tall but it has high ceilings and mostly in accessible space on top not proper floors. It theoretically has room for about four or five floors underwater.

EDIT: I'll do the roll / etc. in the IC thread after work is done and I have dinner.

Okay so, Harm is on the line which means I risk taking some damage unless I find a way out of this correct?. May I use my "Not to be trifled with" to either avoid being pulled into the water or maybe forcing open what I think could be a door?

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
You are going to take damage unless you resist or have relevant armour (special or otherwise; I don't think regular armour would really help here but I'm open to persuasion). Resisting turns harm to stress (6 - high die of what stat you resist with, probably whichever one includes scramble or the like but I could see others). To be clear, the harm here is less being forced into the water as opposed to how much a totally uncontrolled dunking can mess you up.

Forcing the door is something that would happen subsequently to how you handle the harm.

Not to be trifled with is a special form of pushing yourself so that in addition to getting the +1D for 2 stress you can do things that would otherwise not be possible. So if you are just going to Kool-Aid man through the wall, that would probably be relevant. Likewise if you decide to just tangle with those you encounter despite being outnumbered. It won't prevent you from going into the drink / taking harm from such however.

So what would be the drawback to resisting the harm? If I fail the roll I fail the whole action?

I am guessing these are my options:

1) Resist the harm and then find the way through the door.

2) Take the harm and then find a way through the door.

3) Resist/take the harm and then push myself to just bust down the door Kool-Aid man style.

Nick the Nevermet

Concept Monger
Validated User
The downside of resisting harm is that it takes stress. BitD is designed to make your PC run out of stress and go insane, rather than have them die outright.
The upside to resisting harm is you don't take physical damage, which can a long time to heal, where stress can be replenished easier.

I'm always in favour of Kool Aid Man antics.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Yes those are the options in various forms and the most stress you can take from reisting is 5; you roll dice equal to the stat you are resisting with and subtract the high die from 6 to determine the stress you take. If you roll two or more 6s you lose some stress instead. I have seen this happen once in actual play.

Alright, I'll add this into the IC thread but I am going to resist the harm with Prowess and then Kool-Aid man the door so that will add in more stress there :p

Hoooboy insanity here I come :D

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Awesome.

I think that if you are entering the water uninjured via Prowess and then pushing yourself to Kool-Aid man through it is Desperate, but increased effect—like you are getting through if there's any sliver of task success, but the question is how much that's going to hurt.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
On the plan front, you're already in Desperate circumstances—I think most things would be at pretty much standard effect unless you go for something absolutely wild. The rushing of the water is about the type of harm on the table as much as anything else—though generally I would conceptualize the current situation in terms of how much is it going to hurt and how awful is it going to be after as opposed to can we get to where we want to be. If you want something that hedges bets on getting what you want in a single go, but are less likely to risk nearly drowning or being in a continued bad position when you emerge, you can go for that route (which the waiting it out / drawing fire type things seem to be).

In sum, I'd say go backwards from what you want and how you think you can get there and I can answer about the world and the risks in relation to such considerations.

Top Bottom