IC Blank Sheet [5e]

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
This will be both the in-character thread for the Blank Sheet game. If we need one later, we can start an OOC thread, but this is pretty mechanics light to start with and with the OOC tag, I think it's sometimes easier to have everything in one place.

How this works, I present a series of challenges for you guys that build an adventure arc. You pick however you want to over come them. Whatever attempt you make is "true" about your character and may define things about the setting.

For example, if the group comes to a locked door and you announce that your character is going to try to blow it off its hinges with a blast of arcane energy than you've established several things: 1. Your character knows some magic and part of that involves arcane blasts of energy. 2. Magic exists in this setting. 3. Your character doesn't go for being subtle.
If instead you announce that you put your blunderbus to the lock and shoot it, you've established. 1. Guns exist in this setting. 2. Your character has one and uses it. 3. Your character doesn't go for being subtle.

Those things are now true about your character and get added to the wiki-page description of them (or I will do it). When you make either announcement, you roll to see how you did. If you get above a 15 mark a + next to the description to indicate it's something you're good at. If you roll below a 5 mark a - next to it to indicate that it's not your strongest suit. Mark ++ for 20s and -- for 1s.

Standard difficulty is 10 (for pretty much everything, I'll tell you otherwise), so the group succeeds if at least one person beats a 10. Generally, you will succeed, but I'll narrate the results based on whoever had the highest roll being the most influential or having the biggest impact. If you miss posting before a specific challenge resolves, the game will move on and you can just join in on the next one.

If you use the same approach again, mark it on the wiki-page again (or I will) to keep track of how often you used things. And if you've got any number of +'s you have advantage and any number of -'s you have disadvantage. Yes, that does mean that you're likely to stack up a lot of +'s or -'s if you use an ability or approach repeatedly, please don't try to meta-game this, as 50 +'s aren't any better than 1 and vice versa.

I encourage you to get creative and not worry about trying to think of what you can do in D&D, more just what sounds like a fun fantasy thing to do.

A few rules/guidelines:
1. Respect what other people have established. Try to avoid elements that just completely break the developing setting or characters.
2. Keep it somewhat constrained. We're going for a fantasy slice of life game here. Yes you could make a Superman Expy, but that's not really the point.
3. Interact with one another and play off of one another. Remember to establish things beyond what your characters can physically do.
4. It's okay to say that your character just lets someone else in the group handle certain things for the group or to describe how you would assist the rest of the group in succeeding.

The Wiki-page is found here:
https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Blank_Sheet_5e

Last edited:

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
And the first challenge for the group:

You are all traveling together to some destination, how is your currently character traveling? What's general traveling procedure (sleeping, eating, etc.) on this trip?

You are on a well-maintained road and surrounded by short fields with trees some distance off.

Last edited:

lorddaftwager

Validated User
My character (Denholm) chooses to walk whenever he can. He moves slowly and gets distracted easily - if he sees something that interests him, be it a natural landmark, a gathering of people, or a particularly odd-looking building - he'll stop to investigate. As a result of this, his traveling procedure is heavily dictated by whatever he comes across when travelling. If it's a plain with nothing going on - no interesting fauna, no people, nothing - he'll move through it quickly (well, quickly for him). But, if it's something like a bustling metropolis, a magical forest, an unexplored network of caves, or just somewhere he's never seen before, he moves at an agonizingly slow pace, taking note of everything around him, doing everything he can to experience all the locale has to offer. He'll hunt the local wildlife and gather local plants for food, make his clothes out of whatever he can scavenge, and experiment with the plants he finds to make medicine while in the wild. When he sleeps, he looks for somewhere that will either be comfortable, or where he thinks something interesting will happen later (he determines that using his gut). In a city, he'll investigate local shops that capture his attention, and get everything he needs from them. When he needs to rest in a city, he'll find the part of town he thinks has interesting people, and stay at an inn there. Finally, he'll chat up any stranger he finds on his journeys, in order to fulfill his need to interact with others.

Stormraven

Mystical Atheist
Validated User
Jurai, it seems, can never be still. When journeying, her strides are long and quick, and she often loops around the others, or stops briefly to let them catch up. When camped, she paces, or drums, or dances in place. She is, however, as taciturn as she is restless. Words come from her lips as if doled out by a miser - a fearful miser.

Gilgamesh607

Validated User
Keth is impatient. She loathes Denholm. His constant wandering and inability to keep a pace is her greatest pet peeve. A stream of muttered curses issues forth from her every time he picks a flower or chats up a stranger while she taps her right hand on her crossed left arm, leaning irritably on one leg. She lacks Jurai's sprightliness, but otherwise appreciates her and her taciturn nature, as well as her mercifully quick stride. Keth is distrustful of people and of fate, and keeps her eyes on the treeline when they aren't glaring daggers at Denholm. If she isn't griping about the journey, Keth is thinking of two things only--a dark ale to sip slowly, and a way to pay for it.

Medley

Asking for it
Banned
Validated User
Contentedly chewing on a piece of dried licorice root, Imica brings up the rear of the party at a steady pace. She's fond of watching people react to one another, so to the back of the line she goes. This often means Imica has Denholm as company, since the latter is always lagging a bit behind for his own reasons, though even Imica will leave him behind if he gets too slow. In spite of that, Denholm seems like the sort of fellow Imica would get on with well enough. It's also because of Denholm that Imica found that she likes the idea of teasing Keth. That Keth can be easily provoked provides endless pleasure to Imica, as she finds it rather cute, though Imica is careful to dodge whatever barbs Keth will send her way. However, she is rather put off by Jurai. Truthfully, Imica is a little scared of her, and certainly finds her harder to read than most others. There is something about Jurai's terse manner that unsettles Imica. That said, if Jurai ever wanted to let out more than a sentence or two in a row, Imica would be happy to chat with her. There are few people with whom Imica wouldn't at least give a chance.

Right now, Imica appreciates that the road they are on is an easy one. It will be simple enough to make a comfortable camp tonight. That is, so long as they are toughing it out in the woods, which to be clear is not what Imica prefers. That would be making it to the next town or hamlet or whatever and bunking down in a proper bed, though only after she has chatted up the locals and scoped out the sites to see, of course. If they must camp, Imica will certainly set-up the bed rolls, cook, keep watch, what have you--as long as, when it's time to sleep, she gets the nicest spot near the fire. Luckily, it seems like camping out shouldn't be the case tonight.

Last edited:

Nyzelok

Validated User
Rog spends the travelling time at the head of the party, preferring to face things head on than hide at the back. If bandits or whatnot want to stir up trouble, he intends to be on the front lines and make with the smashy-smashy. A heroic death in the heat of battle will ensure his place in what lies beyond.

While travelling, he reluctantly nibbles on the rations stowed in his pack. The plain taste makes his stomach turn occasionally.

As far as sleeping goes, he does have a small tent stowed with his gear, however he much prefers sleeping out under the stars. Some old belief that sleeping under the stars is like having the gods watch over you while resting.

Spoiler: Show
Just a quick question - are we in one of the pre-existing D&D settings like Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms? Or is this a custom world? I'm planning for Rog to have some kind of faith (not necessarily a divine caster unless the dice gods favor me), so it would be useful to know what the pantheon is.

Second question which is related to the above question - races available? Is that something the dice will be rolled for or can we just declare race? I was thinking half-orc for my boy.

ClassDunce

A Proper Villain.
Validated User
Faroth

Faroth grimaced as he brushed the dust from his pants legs and let out a sigh as his head rolled back and he said, "How much further..." He looked at the others with a smile. "I would love a hot meal and a cold Ale." He adjusted his pack on his shoulders and continued to keep pace in place at the middle of the group. His pack was poorly packed and his bedroll kept coming loose from it's bindings. It was clear that Faroth didn't spend a lot of time in the wilds. Faroth is 5'6" with long blonde hair and olive skin. He's slightly built and in the right light can be androgynous in appearance.

Last edited:

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
OOC:
Nyzelok Nyzelok and ClassDunce ClassDunce , I know this is the opposite of what players are use to in creating characters for a D&D game, but please try not to define characters in terms of game terminology. Don't pick a race or class. The standard races and classes don't have to exist, and standard terms bring in a lot of baggage. What is it about half-orcs and half-elves that interests you? Describe those things. If you want your character to have green skin or pointy ears, just describe those. If you want them to have bark like skin or be very resilient bring that up when it's appropriate. If you want to be torn between two societies, just tell us that.

If you cast a spell, don't look up whether it's lightning bolt or call lightning or shocking grasp, just describe firing lightning from your finger tips.

When the first adventure is done we can give whatever race you have established for your character a name, it can even be orc or elf if that makes sense to you. Maybe the orcs of this setting have blue skin and live in crystal towers or just don't exist.

Try to focus on what your character does, less than what they are or you can end up in a character development trap.

I know it's a weird shift from the normal procedure, but it can be really fun when everyone buys in and you may find yourself breaking out of the mold. Everyone's posts are great btw.

Regarding the setting, it is not any standard setting. It's a custom one. Here's what I know about it, so far:

There are roads, grass, trees, cities, etc.
Ale exists and is served at inns.
Some group of people in the setting believes dying in battle earns you a reward in the after life.
The roads may not be safe because at least one of you is thinking about fighting off bandits.

I'll move things forward IC this evening.

Nyzelok

Validated User
OOC: No worries, I wasn't really clear on whether certain character/setting details were being developed through story or if stuff like race/gods/etc were set beforehand. I'm cool with it being done as we proceed, makes it more interesting

And Ale is a must have :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom