Bleed in LARP

Marios

Validated User
DavidArtman said:
Play more; write less.
I find this sentiment agreeable.

Should no one ever write an opinion piece, even in blogs?
People should write whatever it pleases them to write.

It's just opinions pieces about whether cheesecake is better than chocolate are never likely to be particularly valuable. If it's something you need to do to enthuse yourself to produce cheesecake then it's part of your process. Like the way cows produce dung while making milk (this is my go-to simile for when artists talk about their work).

Marios

Marios

Validated User
What I'm actually wondering is what makes them always a "display of ignorance".
Trying to objective determine which subjective preference always makes it seem like you're just unaware that preferences really do vary in more than one dimension. At least, that's how I read it.
Marios

David Artman

Designer and Producer
Validated User
Yep, Marios hits it, though I was also speaking to the "tone of superiority" which almost always is paired with a fallacy of exclusivity, which was my objection in my first paragraph: the claims that "we" are doing it "right" and pushing boundaries while "they" are doing it "wrong" and wallowing in lame, hackneyed modes of play.

So, really, it's two things up my nose: ignorance of the full spectrum of actual play across the world coupled with trying to objectively state that one or another subjective quality is superior. Ignorance and judgmentalism.

But, then again... it is just some random blog, so whatever.

I agree about trying to objectively state one subjective quality being superior over another, but I don't think that implies that all opinion pieces are inherently displays of ignorance.

Marios

Validated User
I agree about trying to objectively state one subjective quality being superior over another, but I don't think that implies that all opinion pieces are inherently displays of ignorance.
True - but remember that you're the one who interpreted {paraphrased} (1) 'articles where people try to objective state one subjective quality being superior over another' as an assertion that all (2) opinions pieces in larp are bad. (1) is a subset of (2), but (2) is not a subset of (1) - you can write a long rambling article which is entirely about your opinions ... without trying to argue/implicitly assuming that they are objectively right.

That's probably the thing which gets people's backs up. Which is kind of what it's supposed to do. Intentionally or unintentionally, there's a form of exclusive language which is selected precisely *because* it is reliably obnoxious to someone, it's meaningful that your friends *do not* find it obnoxious. It's 'in-group chat' - it's a costly signal to other people within the group that you're on-message *and* it has the nice side effect of irritating outsiders into doing things which will then allow you to point out how easily annoyed they are (look at them, they just don't get us!).

So there's a sense in which picking holes in that sort of thing is like spell-checking someone's dirty talk - the message is not in the content, it's in the tone and who it's directed towards/away from.

Marios

True - but remember that you're the one who interpreted {paraphrased} (1) 'articles where people try to objective state one subjective quality being superior over another' as an assertion that all (2) opinions pieces in larp are bad. (1) is a subset of (2), but (2) is not a subset of (1) - you can write a long rambling article which is entirely about your opinions ... without trying to argue/implicitly assuming that they are objectively right.
What I interpreted to possibly mean "opinion pieces in larp are bad" was David's description of "Articles that attempt to qualify" as "simply displaying the author's ignorance." Unless he thinks displays of ignorance are sometimes a good thing. I disagree with the notion- I just wanted to know if I was interpreting his opinion correctly.

Rereading the conversation, I think he clarified himself and explained that not all opinion pieces are inherently bad- all opinion pieces that are display "ignorance and judgmentalism" are.

...you can write a long rambling article which is entirely about your opinions ... without trying to argue/implicitly assuming that they are objectively right.
Agreed, which is why not all articles that qualify styles of play are displays of ignorance.
I hope I haven't derailed this conversation.

Shalabi

Validated User
I have no interest in "bleed" in any larp I play, and I suspect if I were to encounter it it would make me very uncomfortable.

I larp for escapist fantasy. I want to be the hero doing heroic things and vanquishing evil. I don't want to be out of play (or really in play) sad, or upset or any other negative emotion. Those aren't fun. If I were playing a larp and I found out one of its goals was to cause me to feel some kind of negative emotion on a consistent basis, I think I would probably stop playing. I want to play a game designed to empower its players and make them feel awesome.

Ryan Paddy

big picturist
Validated User
I have no interest in "bleed" in any larp I play, and I suspect if I were to encounter it it would make me very uncomfortable.

I larp for escapist fantasy. I want to be the hero doing heroic things and vanquishing evil. I don't want to be out of play (or really in play) sad, or upset or any other negative emotion. Those aren't fun. If I were playing a larp and I found out one of its goals was to cause me to feel some kind of negative emotion on a consistent basis, I think I would probably stop playing. I want to play a game designed to empower its players and make them feel awesome.
How do you feel about other people playing in larps design to encourage "bleed", where those games are described as such in advance?

Top Bottom