• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Blood & Treasure

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
On other notes, Gwen seems... over-cast and over-skilled for the rather limited narrative role of "rigid agent of the law" she's played so far. Maybe she's a mole for a, um (Interpol,Reese,Farouk,Brotherhood,Hardwick,doesShawcount?nah...) sixth party. Or possibly the same party as Hardwick... Or maybe she's Farouk's mole? Presumably working on the "last person you'd suspect" model, but...
That's an interesting idea about Gwen being Farouk's mole. I'd assumed that we'd answered that question with the Egyptian minister, but there could be more than one. Another possibility is that in later episodes she will become more of a romantic competitor to Lexi. It seems to me that there were hints when she was introduced that her relationship with Danny had not always been just professional.

Old Toby

Least Known Dog on the Net
Validated User
That's an interesting idea about Gwen being Farouk's mole. I'd assumed that we'd answered that question with the Egyptian minister, but there could be more than one.
Everything pointing to the minister came from the Brotherhood, the letter is an acknowledged fake, and we very pointedly did not get to see Danny's conversation with him past the "OK, let's sit down and get real" turnaround...

Old Toby

randlathor66

Validated User
Well, the last few episodes finally dropped on Amazon so I am all caught up. Still a fun show, and I called it immediately on the Brotherhood getting Lexi and not Farouk. The "Escape from Casablanca" episode felt a bit rushed to me (I have never seen the movie Casablanca, but I know enough about it to catch most of the references, but I guess I missed enough for it not feel forced in that way), like they might have getting it done because they weren't coming back. Glad the following occurred:
Well Blood & Treasure will get a second season!
Honestly, I wasn't expecting that! It seemed right up the line of "shows Old Toby likes that get snuffed out after a single, too brief, season"
... for this very reason (just substitute "Goodsport" for "Old Toby" for it to apply to me as well
Or "randlathor66". Yippie!

Come to think of it, has Farouk's ideology ever been specified? He has a lot of signifiers suggesting Islamic fundamentalism, but I don't think that's been clearly stated...
I think they've stayed clear of spelling out his exact ideology to keep things politically clean, if that makes sense.
This or just so they can do a switcheroo to throw everyone* for a loop.

* By "everyone" I mean the other characters and the viewers.

Old Toby

Validated User
Well, the last few episodes finally dropped on Amazon so I am all caught up. Still a fun show, and I called it immediately on the Brotherhood getting Lexi and not Farouk. The "Escape from Casablanca" episode felt a bit rushed to me (I have never seen the movie Casablanca, but I know enough about it to catch most of the references, but I guess I missed enough for it not feel forced in that way),
"Forced" seems... misleading to me. I mean, yes, both the script-writers and some of the characters were obviously very aware that this was Casablanca, and there was that movie... But mostly they were content to keep it to stuff like characters deliberately quoting the movie. There were a few overlaps of plot or themes, but the tone, pace, and resolution were all completely their own thing.

There are Raiders of the Lost Ark-like urban action sequences that would be completely out of place in Casablanca, they visit a crime-boss who runs a nightclub, but it's not a Sidney Greenstreet look-alike running a Blue Parrot knock-off, themes of refugees and escape are called up, but the writers are very aware that modern refugees trying to enter the EU are in a completely different situation than hitherto-well-off Europeans trying to get to the New World...

The one exception, I think, is the airport tarmac scene, which is a beautiful recreation of the visuals of the movie (translated into color, no less). But completely different in how it plays out.

This or just so they can do a switcheroo to throw everyone* for a loop.
I have a suspicion that Farouk's real agenda might not be what he tells his followers...

Old Toby

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
Everything pointing to the minister came from the Brotherhood, the letter is an acknowledged fake...
I've wondered about the letter. There just seems to be no good reason for Farouk's men (or anyone else) to forge a letter claiming Lexi's father was working with Farouk. Especially one that can be easily identified as a forgery. It seems like a plot element that was introduced to throw us for a loop, but which was then quickly abandoned. It makes me wonder if the show is being written like a mystery or more like an action-adventure. Right now, I'd say the latter.

Daydreamer

Twin Son of the Bright Prince
Validated User
I have a suspicion that Farouk's real agenda might not be what he tells his followers...
I wonder if the sarcophogi of Marc Antony and Cleopatra contain two halves of some kind of super-science/pseudo-magical superweapon, but this series has stayed pretty grounded so far and if you're going to shift genres like that you really ought to lay some foundation for it.

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
I wonder if the sarcophogi of Marc Antony and Cleopatra contain two halves of some kind of super-science/pseudo-magical superweapon, but this series has stayed pretty grounded so far and if you're going to shift genres like that you really ought to lay some foundation for it.
Yeah, I've wondered about that as well. The show has established that the Nazis thought Cleopatra's tomb was the key to some sort of superweapon or other top-secret initiative, project Athena, which they thought would be key to winning the future, if not the war. I assume we'll find out what it was in due course. My current off-the-wall theory is that it was a cloning project to create a 'superwoman' from Cleopatra's DNA--with the kicker that the clone is, of course, Lexi.

Of course, this theory makes no sense, given that DNA had not yet even been described. But it seems like that kind of show.

Mantisking

BosTan Cat Herder
Validated User
I've wondered about the letter. There just seems to be no good reason for Farouk's men (or anyone else) to forge a letter claiming Lexi's father was working with Farouk. Especially one that can be easily identified as a forgery. It seems like a plot element that was introduced to throw us for a loop, but which was then quickly abandoned. It makes me wonder if the show is being written like a mystery or more like an action-adventure. Right now, I'd say the latter.
With the current plot line of Lexi's father being a Brotherhood agent, maybe the forged letter was how Farouk killed him, by setting him up and making the Brotherhood think he had turned on them.

randlathor66

Validated User
The only thing I can think of that could be classified as a "super-weapon" to help the Nazis win the war would be some kind of virus/disease that they could be able to weaponize. Well, if they are going to stick to high-adventure, and not go into sci-fi or fantasy, at any rate.

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
With the current plot line of Lexi's father being a Brotherhood agent, maybe the forged letter was how Farouk killed him, by setting him up and making the Brotherhood think he had turned on them.
That's an interesting idea. The show has suggested that it was Farouk's agents who planted the bomb, but I guess we really don't know. It's also still murky if Lexi's father was a Brotherhood member--Fabi has denied it. He could be lying, of course, but I'd think he might want to admit it, as a way to tie Lexi more closely to them.

The latest episode was a change of scenery, though still largely the same basic plot--our heroes have to find something that has been stolen/lost. Not a flattering portrait of Dorchester, MA. I'm not sure who Danny's father thought was going to go after him if he 'ratted' in prison, or why he would particularly care, if he is dying anyway. I'm also not sure who the black-clad antagonists were--our heroes presumed they were agents of Farouk's, but there was no particular indication of that.

We did find out that the rank-and-file of Farouk's organization are religious zealots, though just what religion is left unstated--and, I think, always will be.

So why did Farouk need a very specific toxin weaponized? And what toxin was it? Any theories?

Top Bottom