• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - For those missing that classic 8-bit Castlevania Experience

CaButler

Validated User
If you may remember, a few years back Koji Igarashi, aka, IGA, famed producer of the Castlevania series from Symphony of the Night onwards, did a Kickstarter for a Castlevania game called Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, a 2.5D platformer that looks to bring back the classic Metroidvania platformer that his former employer, Konami, has decided not to do. The less said about that, the better.

To say that the Kickstarter was a roaring success is a bit of an understatement. Though the game has no firm release date outside of 2018, from the demo and screenshots, it looks like it'll actually fulfill those looking for that classic experience.

We're not here to talk about that, though. As part of a stretch goal, the makers released a spinoff game titled Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. If Ritual of the Nighti is a call back to the Metroidvania era games, then Curse of the Moon is a call back to the 8-bit Castlevania games. This includes the graphics and the way it's played.

Here, have a trailer for the game:

[video=youtube;O1ywb6cQWQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ywb6cQWQ8[/video]

I love that trailer and how cheesy it is. Anyway, the game is pretty much Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse with minor differences here and there, and it can be just as punishing if you played those classic NES games. Backers will get a copy of the game, though it is available for purchase now (some Consoles got delayed due to needing the codes, but they're coming soon).

I've only played a couple of levels, but this game makes me realize how much I miss the classic Castlevania experience.

Has anybody else played it or gotten a hold of it? What are your thoughts on it so far? Does this make you anxious for Ritual of the Night? I know I'm anxious for it, if they can keep the quality of this game going.

Prisoneroffantasy

Enjoying my fishbowl view
Validated User
I'm actually more interested in this game than I am in the main project.

Dracula's Curse remains my favorite Castlevania game, so Curse of the Moon should very much be my jam.

CaButler

Validated User
Ahh, instant-death pits. How I have NOT missed you. :p

(It does indeed remind me a lot of old console games.)
Combine that with annoying flying enemies and it feels like the classic Castlevania experience. Including lots of raging at the screen.

I got to the final level, but some of those platforming elements can get rather brutal. Especially in the second to last stage.

Thornhammer

More Ullish in Hue
Validated User
Damn, that’s not “Castlevania with the serial numbers filed off.” That’s “Castlevania with the serial numbers half-assedly covered by a sticker of dubious adhesiveness.”

This is not a complaint, it is in fact awesome as hell and I will be looking into acquiring it shortly.

-Thornhammer

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
This takes me back further than I remembered having been back! I now recall playing original model Castlevania in the arcade. Don't think I ever got past Medusa. (And I never played anything between that and Symphony.)

I've been wondering if Bloodstained will be good or go the way of Mighty No. 9; this gives me hope that I backed a winner this time.

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, this is really Castlevania 3.5 - it looks, sounds and feels very much like the good old NES games. OK, the graphics probably wouldn't quite work on the NES, but it's close and I'm not gonna complain about a game looking too good. :)

I actually have two complaints! 1) switching to fullscreen causes a palette glitch (fortunately, changing resolution fixes it) and 2) I wish you could toggle infinite lives and knockback separately. Other than that, I'm loving it.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
This takes me back further than I remembered having been back! I now recall playing original model Castlevania in the arcade. Don't think I ever got past Medusa. (And I never played anything between that and Symphony.)

I've been wondering if Bloodstained will be good or go the way of Mighty No. 9; this gives me hope that I backed a winner this time.
The difference is the guy behind Mighty Number 9 wasn't really one of the creatives or level designers; he was an executive, IIRC.

Iga, on the other hand, has been part of the series since Symphony of the Night and is a fan of Castlevania 3, so it's hardly a surprise the NES-style sidegame is basically "Castlevania 3: How I'd have done it".

bv728

Was he a violent man?
Validated User

This is basically a subgame from the folks at Inti-creates who were originally supposed to work on MN9, as i understand. They pulled out of that arrangement, leading to development having to functionally start over on MN9 and requiring them to put together their own team unexpectedly - I suspect that had a lot to do with MN9's overall issues.

Inti-creates left the Bloodstained project in July 2017, and Iga was explictly not very involved with this one, so I guess what I'm saying is, this really doesn't have any indications for the final project, and wow, Inti-creates have a bit of a track record leaving high profile kickstarters where their name was used up front.

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Inti-creates left the Bloodstained project in July 2017, and Iga was explictly not very involved with this one, so I guess what I'm saying is, this really doesn't have any indications for the final project, and wow, Inti-creates have a bit of a track record leaving high profile kickstarters where their name was used up front.
Which is kinda weird, because they also have a pretty good track record making good games. (Blaster Master Zero, for ex.)

Top Bottom