• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - For those missing that classic 8-bit Castlevania Experience

bv728

Was he a violent man?
Validated User
Which is kinda weird, because they also have a pretty good track record making good games. (Blaster Master Zero, for ex.)
Interestingly, Curse of the Moon is the Blaster Master Zero team (which was the Mighty Gunvolt team). Inti-Creates has basically created a dedicated retro-nes team, and they're really good.

Metaphysician

Validated User
I'm enjoying it on the Switch. Its hard, but it feels a lot more fair than the classicvanias I've played.

The bosses are all *incredibly* spiteful, mind. At least they are predictable, so the worst case is, you die from a final blow, and then know how to avoid it the next time.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
Which is kinda weird, because they also have a pretty good track record making good games. (Blaster Master Zero, for ex.)
And, ironically, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, which is an excellent Mighty No. 9 game, by all accounts.

Thirdtwin

perpetuate the cycle
Validated User
The difference is the guy behind Mighty Number 9 wasn't really one of the creatives or level designers; he was an executive, IIRC.

Iga, on the other hand, has been part of the series since Symphony of the Night and is a fan of Castlevania 3, so it's hardly a surprise the NES-style sidegame is basically "Castlevania 3: How I'd have done it".
Not exactly true. Keiji Inafune was behind Mighty Number 9, and he'd been with the Mega Man series literally since the first Mega Man... as a a graphic and character designer. (He came up with Elec Man, and Zero for Mega Man X). He managed to tech roll from there into a production-level position in Capcom, handling many of the various spinoffs until Capcom got tired of those/him. It's kind of weird, actually, because "produce an Inti-Creates game" is basically how he got Mega Man 9 and 10 made, and those were pretty well-liked at the time. You'd think MN9 would have came out alright because of the similar concept but...

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Not exactly true. Keiji Inafune was behind Mighty Number 9, and he'd been with the Mega Man series literally since the first Mega Man... as a a graphic and character designer. (He came up with Elec Man, and Zero for Mega Man X). He managed to tech roll from there into a production-level position in Capcom, handling many of the various spinoffs until Capcom got tired of those/him. It's kind of weird, actually, because "produce an Inti-Creates game" is basically how he got Mega Man 9 and 10 made, and those were pretty well-liked at the time. You'd think MN9 would have came out alright because of the similar concept but...
Thing is, it's not like MN9 is a terrible game. People have played it, it has good points. But it does seem to be a case of 'biting off more than he could chew' via the various stretch goals and ports, and as someone who spent so much time producing I think that does count as an honest failure on his part.

Thirdtwin

perpetuate the cycle
Validated User
Thing is, it's not like MN9 is a terrible game. People have played it, it has good points. But it does seem to be a case of 'biting off more than he could chew' via the various stretch goals and ports, and as someone who spent so much time producing I think that does count as an honest failure on his part.
Yeah, it's not bad, but he definitely shot for the moon with the stretch goals and ended up missing hard. I uh.... kind of forgot Bloodstained was happening and didn't even know Curse of the Moon was a stretch goal in the first place until it came out, but it looks like Iga's holding this project together a lot better at least.

Top Bottom