• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Most of you will probably have heard of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. It's a Metroidvania-style game from the original director of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Originally planned for 2017, it's supposed to be released this summer. This may sound like another Mighty No. 9 or NightCry, but things don't seem to be quite as bad. Generally speaking.

What excited me the most was the side game, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, which very much resembles Castlevania III. It looks great and plays great, and while it is on the short side, it isn't supposed to be anything more than a neat little things on the side anyway. However, the main game looks... somewhat underwhelming:

This isn't the final product, and the developers announced that they would work on lighting and graphics, but this looks just dull. Everything is sterile and lifeless. The gameplay seems to be fine, but based on this, I'm not exactly hooked. I didn't back the Kickstarter, but I was looking forward to this.

I think the project will make it, but I'm not sure about the final quality anymore. Vita support was dropped a while ago, and Mac and Linux support recently. On top of that, Mac and Linux backers won't receive refunds, which soured me a bit on the game. I use neither a Mac or Linux, but if 505's budget is so tight that they can't offer refunds to the minority of Mac/Linux backers, it's not a good sign. At this point, I wish they had made a lengthier Curse of the Moon, really.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Yeah, as a Metroidvania enthusiast I'm left a bit wanting from everything I'm seeing. It might just be the newer engines or the modern graphical style or something-but I'm watching this from SotN. This was made in 1996-a time where other old PS1 games didn't age well-and it still floors me to this day. (I clipped it at the start.) The castle CG is defintiely dated, but the game? Gorgeous. Bloodstained doesn't look ugly or anything to me, but maybe it looks like 'more of stuff I've seen in 2D Games?'

I agree it's not going to be another Mighty No. 9 disaster, but I get the impression(also hearing from people who played the demo), it's not going to be The Second Coming of SotN and the Savior of Metroidvanias. It'll be a decent little game that...means it's a bit underwhelming that what I think people expected.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
I was actually just thinking about this while playing Lecarde Chronicles 2. My first thought was "If Bloodstained isn't as good as this, it's going to be pretty embarrassing." Then I backed up the train and thought: "If Bloodstained is only as good as this, it's going going to be kinda embarrassing." Not because LC2 is a bad game, it's actually better than a couple of the official Igavanias, just that it's a game that got a pile of cash to be a big production vs. a fangame.

Azegoroth

Validated User
I backed this game(not with a lot of money), and it looks like I'm getting what I asked for. A metroidvania style game. Curse of the moon was pretty fun, so I've already got some value for my money. I hope this is good when it finally comes out.

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
I backed it for a fair bit of cash and am not at all concerned by the delays. The demo they put out a while back felt good to me.

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
As another backer, I get the impression that it's... got a clear idea of what it needs to be, and has just taken a bit of time to adapt from 1996 to modern tech. The last demo was honestly pretty fun, running around, jumping on things, killing monsters that might only appear in a single room, taking their body parts and using alchemy to build some absurd harpoon with which I can kill monsters much, much harder. But at the same time, the shadows looked pretty odd and the jaws on the characters hinged in a really weird place. So when they come out and say, "We're fixing the lighting and we've upgraded the facial animations", that's good. All I'm left with is a situation in which a spooky organ plays and people yell at each other to remember what happened ten years ago - and that's exactly what I want.

Tardigrade

oso de agua
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I only just found out that the Mac and Linux versions were cancelled last December. (I haven't been reading the updates that closely.) Le sigh. I happen to have a PS4 now (I didn't when I backed) so I can switch my platform to that, but it's still irritating. It's the third game I've backed on Kickstarter that promised a Mac version but failed to deliver. It's why I usually dollar-back computer games these days.

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
Yeah, as a Metroidvania enthusiast I'm left a bit wanting from everything I'm seeing. It might just be the newer engines or the modern graphical style or something-but I'm watching this from SotN. This was made in 1996-a time where other old PS1 games didn't age well-and it still floors me to this day. (I clipped it at the start.) The castle CG is defintiely dated, but the game? Gorgeous. Bloodstained doesn't look ugly or anything to me, but maybe it looks like 'more of stuff I've seen in 2D Games?'

I agree it's not going to be another Mighty No. 9 disaster, but I get the impression(also hearing from people who played the demo), it's not going to be The Second Coming of SotN and the Savior of Metroidvanias. It'll be a decent little game that...means it's a bit underwhelming that what I think people expected.
Given we're in a incredible Metroidvania boom with big genre shakers out there like Hollow Knight and Dead Cells I think anyone expecting this to be the Next Big Thing is weird. The Next Big Thing in Metroidvania will be Silksong, Bloodstained is a deliberate callback to a twenty year old game and so will at most be a good rendition of a older version of the Metroidvania formula.

-Naxuul

Terra_Oblivion

Validated User
Not really sure a lot of people were hoping for it to push the genre. Mostly people just seem to want another Symphony of the Night or maybe another Dawn of Sorrow or Order of Ecclesia. That's certainly all I want, at least. But if somebody did, that does seem pretty foolish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom