• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Board games for kids

Ebonheart

RPGnet Member
Validated User
My 4 year old loves:

Pigasus (basically pick a pair, but more about observation than memory)
Lion Guard - Protect the Pridelands (co-op game where kids are given small choices to make each turn. Simple but surprisingly challenging even for adults)
PJ Masks - Time to be a Hero (pretty much the same as above but re-skinned and a little more complicated)

From experience, his older friends also enjoy these though I've not gone as old as a 9 year old (7 enjoyed them).

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's always co-op like Forbidden Island. Should hit the sweet spot for the 9-year old, and the four year old can help make decisions (do we try to give this person cards, or do we shore up the flooded spots?).

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Seconding the recommendations for Forbidden Island and Tsuro, and adding Beasts of Balance, Ice Cool, Las Vegas, and Villa Paletti (in its basic "don't let the tower fall" form) to the list. All of those have been popular with my 10, 8, and 6 year old nieces. I've also heard good things about Animal upon Animal but I have no direct experience with it.

If it's just the 9 year old I'd suggest Mice & Mystics but it's kind of rules heavy. I have a 10 year old who is a child of my friend who likes it, but I probably wouldn't introduce it to my 10 year old niece.

For a 4 year old it will be hard just getting them to sit still long enough to play games.

In general IME I've found that games that revolve around the winning condition "most VP" don't hold the attention of children ESPECIALLY if you have a scoring pad at the end. Strangely, the games that are "have the most money at the end" that I've introduced them to they love.

Last edited:

Gallowglacht

Validated User
Splendour? No reading in that just matching colours and some addition. And I find it's a fun game.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Splendour? No reading in that just matching colours and some addition. And I find it's a fun game.
I doubt it will work for my nieces for the next few years. It's got points and they haven't found interest in board games that have success based on points.

Very fun game though.

PS so is Cetury: Spice Road (though I have the Golem edition)

Top Bottom