• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Board games for kids

Asklepios

Validated User
My three and six year old both know the rules to chess and draughts. Only the three year old has any sense of strategy, but the three year old has a complete grasp of the rules, though admittedly he likes to stand his pawns on his rooks every now and then, if the 6 year old is thinking for too long, because "my soldier is shooting you from the battlements, pew pew pew!"

As has been mentioned, the main barrier to a three year old is reading. He can read words, but only by sounding out each letter out loud then merging, which isn't gaming level reading. However, when it comes to learning rules, recognising symbols, and so on, there's no problem.

Anyway, that brings me to my suggestion: Tsuro. No writing involved, but some complexity and strategy. Easy rules, but hard to master.

(edit: and reading the thread again, I now realise I've been scooped on that)

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Anyway, that brings me to my suggestion: Tsuro. No writing involved, but some complexity and strategy. Easy rules, but hard to master.

(edit: and reading the thread again, I now realise I've been scooped on that)
Tsuro has worked for all the children I have played it with. Highly recommended.

Houlio

Gauche
Validated User
Check out games by the company Habba. They make the aforementioned Animal Upon Animal as well as a whole host of other games that work well for groups of huge age ranges.

Besides that, look at Spot It! I'd say. There's a wide variety of themed versions IIRC, and the game has a lot of different ways to play it.

Knaight

Validated User
I could also see Set working well, though if you were playing it with them you'd probably need to hold back a bit (implement a deliberate 3 second delay or something).

Top Bottom