💀 Necro Board games where you do things besides just playing them?

grubman

Grubby Smelly Gnome
Validated User
This is sort of a weird question I guess.

See, I like board games, but I don’t like the fact that you pretty much just play them and that’s it.

RPGs have spoiled me by providing a hobby that keeps me busy a lot of the time reading, writing, drawing, and just being productive. Miniature games provide a lot of hobby stuff beyond just playing the game, what with painting, building terrain, reading the rules and fluff on the setting, designing campaigns and battles, ect.

In the last few years I’ve been getting several games that have miniatures so I can paint them. I’ve also spent some time building 3-D boards. But that seems to be about where the hobby ends. I was just wondering if there are any board games out there that give you to do things outside of play? Maybe books based on the setting they are based in, things you have to do to design campaign style play or customize the game? Things tht require some creativity and effort beyond just pulling it out of the closet when friends come over.

The closest I've found is Battlelore (and maybe Descent) but that is just one itty-bitty step away from being a miniature wargame anyway.

Scurrilous

Validated User
There's something beautifully cynical about a game entitled "Diplomacy" being almost entirely about stabbing people in the back.

Ineti

Playing mind games! Woo!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Memoir 44 has a pretty robust online scenario builder. I suppose one could read and research WWII battles and build a scenario around a given battle. That's more creative than just pulling out the game and using a pregenerated scenario.

grubman

Grubby Smelly Gnome
Validated User
Memoir 44 has a pretty robust online scenario builder. I suppose one could read and research WWII battles and build a scenario around a given battle. That's more creative than just pulling out the game and using a pregenerated scenario.
Battlelore as well (My C&C game of choice).

Victim

Validated User
Some games have unit/army design rules. You can design custom mechs and tanks in Battletech, and optimize combined forces based on battle value or money.

There's sufficient strategy discussion on some games to warrant further study - chess comes to mind as a huge example... There's usually plenty of discussion on BGG.

Some games like Race for the Galaxy, Le Havre Dungeon Twister 2, and many hex/counter (as opposed to miniature) wargames have solitaire play modes as well.

You can also just buy lots of new games so you always have new rules to study. :)

But I tend to view the self containedness of boardgames as a major strength.

Calculon

Emergency Comedy Hologram
Validated User
I'd suggest looking at some of Vlaada Chvatil's games:
- Galaxy Trucker
- Dungeon Lords

in which each game happens in two phases: "build your thing" then "use your thing". First part of the game: you build a spaceship or dungeon, usually in real time! Scramble for pieces and stuff. Second part: each player puts it into effect. It's almost like building a scenario or setting and then running it.

Another suggestion: Heroscape.
- you like Battlelore and its modular configuration and setup. Well, heroscape actually has a scenario generator online, drafting mechanics and stuff that lets you build your board and "armies" out of a crazy variety of troops in a way that sort of creates a story as you go. Really neat wa to vary things, even though the game is really accessible. Tradeoff is some setup time.

Then there's Dominion, where you "set" the terms of the game each time. There could be a creative side to this too: designing sets of cards at the beginning of the game before you start playing.

And there's the new release of the racing game "Rush 'n' Crush" where you get to build the track before each race.

So there are a bunch of games out there that have a bit of setup that lets you dig in, a bit, before the game itself kicks off. Most of the ones I've just talked about also happen to be a ton of fun. Consider checking some out!

Top Bottom