💀 Necro Board games where you do things besides just playing them?

grubman

Grubby Smelly Gnome
Validated User

Labmonkey-XL

Film Major
Validated User
I actually owned and sold it a long time ago. It's a great idea, but much too complicated in actual play. When it gets revised and streamlined (a couple of times) I'd love to pick it up again.
I've been trying to work on an idea for a boardgame like Battlestations, but without a referee. And simpler rules lol

grubman

Grubby Smelly Gnome
Validated User
I've been trying to work on an idea for a boardgame like Battlestations, but without a referee. And simpler rules lol
Battlestations actually inspired the space combat system in my X-plorers game (you can check out a free version inthe link below, if you want)...of course I did it in about 1 page ;) compared to thier 100+ pages.

oni no won

Validated User
Boardgames that inspire homemade scenarios:

-Last Night on Earth: Someone on BGG did a Buffy the Vampire conversion for it. I believe there are homebrewed scenarios from others as well.

-Tide of Iron: FFG's scenario editor is an awesome tool to create your own scenarios.

-Settlers of Catan: I have the book of fan made scenarios.

I've also seen people remake the boards entirely too like Age of Mythology the Boardgame (at BGG).

Sirharrok

Validated User
I was just wondering if there are any board games out there that give you to do things outside of play?
A couple of thoughts.

First, you could look at playing one or more board games via PBM/PBEM. From venerable classics like Diplomacy, Railways Rivals and 18xx through to more recent games, you'll find someone playing it by PBM -- and there are still remnants of the 1980s zine culture around for the classics. That will give you endless time to plot, plan and think -- and it is nice to sit down a lunchtime at work with a cup of tea and work out whether to move fleet Brest to the Mid Atlantic Ocean or not.

Second, I'd suggest looking beyond games like Battlelore and Memoir 44 to hex and counter games that model historical wars or battles (Memoir 44 and Axis and Allies are more 'inspired by actual events' than a simulation).

Lets say you have an interest in the Normandy Campaign, and get a serious game on the subject. Your play of the game will improve, believe me, if you know why the bocage country was such a challenge to the Americans; you will get a new appreciation for it if you understand the tensions between Montgomery, Eisenhower, Bradley and later Patton.

And of course, that sort of historical understanding has a surprising amount of relevance to real life also -- if only because it preserves the memory of the men who fought there.

Cheers
Sir Harrok

gatharion

Validated User
Another suggestion: Heroscape.
- you like Battlelore and its modular configuration and setup. Well, heroscape actually has a scenario generator online, drafting mechanics and stuff that lets you build your board and "armies" out of a crazy variety of troops in a way that sort of creates a story as you go. Really neat wa to vary things, even though the game is really accessible. Tradeoff is some setup time.
Of course, just playing with the terrain is part of the appeal.

Top Bottom