• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Boardgame] Reality Check, The Game of Privilege

Vox Orbis

I've Always Been Here
Validated User
Well, howdy. So, there's this thing that is... well... it's supposed to be satire, but man, does it punch down.

While it looks uncannily similar to a cardgame from a few years back named 'Privilege Check', I don't think that creator and these guys have anything to do with one another.

I find it literally despicable, and PoC creators I'm friendly with don't like it any better. The creators also use 'SJW' unironically, which is never a good sign. Then there's the hashtags.

But here, look at these links and form your own opinions. They've not yet run the Kickstarter.

Reality Check: The Game of Privilege Website

Privilege Game Facebook Page

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
I would debate whether it's using those terms unironically. The creators seem aware at least that as two white guys they have a good platform to talk about their own privilege and how other people don't get the same leg up they do. Granted, I'd rather see "we wanted to talk about privilege so we teamed up with some POC game designers" rather than "we're self-aware about how awkward this looks."

PST

Validated User
I would debate whether it's using those terms unironically. The creators seem aware at least that as two white guys they have a good platform to talk about their own privilege and how other people don't get the same leg up they do. Granted, I'd rather see "we wanted to talk about privilege so we teamed up with some POC game designers" rather than "we're self-aware about how awkward this looks."
They've consistently pushed back at all criticism on twitter and have taken to mocking and dismissing their critics. So no, I really don't think they've got any awareness of their own privilege, the game is absolutely loaded with alt-right and bigoted dog whistles.

It might as well be 'kotaku in action: the game'

Last edited:

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Yeah, that looks pretty horrible. I've changed my mind, this is definitely bad.

Gideon

Validated User
I'll be keeping an eye on this just to try to work out what's really going on.

Are they trolling? Are they lefties who aren't witty? Are they proper alt-right taking the piss? Are they just clueless? Are they cynically trying to be as controversial as possible to sell their game? It's hard to tell.

PST

Validated User
The problem is that they're at best clueless centrists who want to make jokes about the struggle of minorities.

More likely they're deliberately punching down and appealing to the alt right and purposefully courting controversy.

They claimed they had no money for an experienced expert sensitivity advisor two days after posting their professional actor photoshoot.

Really at best they're not worth anything more than rejection and dismissal. Albeit forthright and clear and countering their nonsense.

Given they supposedly have a full and complete prototype and everything is done and ready to go, there is little chance anything will change, they're likely just hoping, someone finally having a clue, to avoid the backlash.

Also as a total aside it's amazing how frequently the alt right appealing social funding projects fail and see people doing a runner with the money.

Top Bottom