• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[BOL/JotSS] Skyrealms of Jorune

Jdidgits

Registered Loser
Validated User
I'm on vacation this week, with no real plans, and was perusing my game collection when my eyes landed on my old Skyrealms of Jorune game books. After brushing off twenty years worth of dust, it dawned on me that this aging beauty is really a variation of the old Sword and Sorcery genre.

So, if I wanted to run it today, rpg.net, should I use Barbarians of Lemuria or Jaws of the Six Serpents? Seems like either would be pretty easy to adapt to the Jorune setting but does either have an advantage in this case?

Miss Atomic Bomb

Welcome to your life. There's no turning back.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd use Barbarians out of familiarity, but really both of them would be great choices.

The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

The elegant assassin
Validated User
I agree that both of those systems are great and the choice depends depends upon whether you like it more trad (BoL has hit points and weapon damage and whatnot) or a bit more Narr (JotSS is all about the Qualities).

Obviously, whichever way you go, the big issue is how you handle the magic, that is, how much (and how) to try and model the system in the original?

Grymbok

Licensed to Ill
Validated User
+1 for this. Isho is the big challenge for mechanics in this setting.
It is, but I think personally it's probably best not to get hung up on trying to model the previously published mechanics with 100% fidelity. Better to try to model the feel of it all - this is about working with a natural field of energy that exists around you and within you. Muadra can gather the energy in to a range of orbs and bolts (and arguably they only work to a "spell list" because they're bad at it). Each form of Isho controls different effects, and you mix them together for more complex results. Boccords can sense Isho with greater resolution than Muadra, but lack the ability to manipulate it (you may wish to drop Interference as it makes no sense). Remember to include Isho weather - it really adds to the feel of this being something which exists in the world, in my opinion.

Epengar

of the Clan of the Sweet Singers of Nakome
Validated User
It is, but I think personally it's probably best not to get hung up on trying to model the previously published mechanics with 100% fidelity.
I agree! I didn't mean that the original Isho mechanics are a big challenge to emulate, but that Isho in the setting is an important big challenge to model.

apparition13

Validated User
I agree! I didn't mean that the original Isho mechanics are a big challenge to emulate, but that Isho in the setting is an important big challenge to model.
Frankly I never thought the spell list approach made sense in the setting. If there is a version of BoL out there with psionics, you could probably raid that for a framework on which to build Isho. I'm sure there is something in PDQ that would work for Jaws.

Mythos

Barking Mad
Validated User
Barbarians of the Aftermath has rules for psionics. along with material, and rules, for the creation of some of the sci-tech that Might show up in Skyrealms.
The only downside is that you need a copy of BoL to fully utilise it.

Beyond Reality

Validated User
Frankly I never thought the spell list approach made sense in the setting. If there is a version of BoL out there with psionics, you could probably raid that for a framework on which to build Isho. I'm sure there is something in PDQ that would work for Jaws.
Tim's Questers of The Middle Realms has good a good "adventuring" magic alternative to Jaw's Sorcery.

Top Bottom