• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[BOL/JotSS] Skyrealms of Jorune

Grymbok

Licensed to Ill
Validated User
Frankly I never thought the spell list approach made sense in the setting. If there is a version of BoL out there with psionics, you could probably raid that for a framework on which to build Isho. I'm sure there is something in PDQ that would work for Jaws.
As I touched on in my previous post, my personal "head canon" for Jorune is that the spell list is (for Shanthas) a training technique for young children. It's just that Muadra are sufficiently lacking in skill at weaving Isho that they're unable to progress past the training wheels of using a rigid defined list of specific effects, and so the Dysha "spell list" has become calcified as it passes from generation to generation in the Muadra community.

Now on the flip side, if you want to be nice to Muadra, an extremist interpretation of the Shanthic organisation in to sects aligned to each moon would suggest that Shanthas tend to only have real ability at manipulating one colour of Isho, whereas Muadra work with all the colours (and sometimes even more than one at once).

Gallowglass

Validated User
As I touched on in my previous post, my personal "head canon" for Jorune is that the spell list is (for Shanthas) a training technique for young children. It's just that Muadra are sufficiently lacking in skill at weaving Isho that they're unable to progress past the training wheels of using a rigid defined list of specific effects, and so the Dysha "spell list" has become calcified as it passes from generation to generation in the Muadra community.

Now on the flip side, if you want to be nice to Muadra, an extremist interpretation of the Shanthic organisation in to sects aligned to each moon would suggest that Shanthas tend to only have real ability at manipulating one colour of Isho, whereas Muadra work with all the colours (and sometimes even more than one at once).
I always thought of Dysha's as "kata" - forms, strict patterns learned by rote that allowed the original muadra (with their flawed, "limited" perception and access to sho-caudal) to achieve basic effects. Dysha for me were always a form of magical martial art: not a matter of ancient lore and dusty old tombs, but rigorous discipline, trained muscle memory and honed instinctive manipulations of dynamic, barely perceived energy flows.

In time, assuming muadra are allowed the freedom to explore this side of their nature, they will develop more sophisticated perceptions and access to Sho-Caudal, and be less reliant on the strict forms of the basic dyshas. In my Jorune, that's why EVERYONE (the Dharsage, the Shanthas) had such a downer on the Maustin Cajii - they were beginning to explore their true abilities, ignoring the restrictions placed on them by human societies scared of their potential and shanthic aversion to the idea of non-shantha having true access to Sho-Caudal - in my game, as and when the Laomorri return (and they WERE coming back), the Maustin Cajii are Jorune's best hope of victory...

Cheers,

NDM

Grymbok

Licensed to Ill
Validated User
I think you're right with the analogy with martial arts kata. Remember that Muadra learn Dyshas by a period of rote practise, trying the manoeuvres again and again until they finally get it right and actually weave the Dysha for the first time. It's for that muscle memory reason, I would suggest, that weaving a Dysha very deliberately doesn't require a skill role in 2nd and 3rd edition Jorune (it may not in first either, I just can't recall off hand). The obvious comparison is to riding a bicycle - most kids never need to go back to riding with stabilisers once they've successfully ridden that one time without them. Once you've got it right, you understand how you did it and can repeat the trick.

The problem for Muadra is that because they are learning Dyshas through rote repetition of manipulations only, they don't understand the deeper principles.

Jdidgits

Registered Loser
Validated User
These are all great responses - Thanks!

I have Barbarians of the Aftermath and I didn't even think of including that in using BoL for Jorune. Good idea! (I've been too busy thinking that BotA would be perfect for a game of Thundercats, I couldn't see other uses).

I was originally leaning towards JotSS, but now that I've considered using the psychic rules, I think BoL might be an easier and superior use.

Top Bottom