[Books] Good "One and Done" Fantasy?

TrojanRat

Agent of S.N.A.R.K.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Are there any good works of Fantasy that keep things to one book? It seems like every well known Fantasy work is a series. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. The Wheel of Time. Song of Ice and Fire. The Legend of Drizzit.

I'm not an extensive reader. I've dramatically increased the amount I've been reading since this time last year. And I'm a little gun shy of the Fantasy genre, because the few attempts I've made in the past to get through some of the series listed above have ended when I've reached points of "Is the author trying to stretch this work? Because the last three pages of description for this forest feel like padding". I want to try more in the genre, but I'm worried that anything I pick up that's part of a series will fill time with excessively detailed descriptions of geography, history, or family geneology.

So are there any good one book and the story is done works of Fantasy?

Ravenfeeder

It's True. All of it.
Validated User
Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay
Rats and Gargoyles by Mary Gentle

Others that were stand alone, but the author later added 'sequels' due to publisher demand
Magician by Raymond Feist
Legend by David Gemmel.
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

PTiKachu

Damaramu will regret this
Validated User
The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. Supposedly it's set in the same universe as his First Law trilogy, but as the first Abercrombie book I read, it worked on its own quite nicely. It felt like a bunch of Game of Thrones characters at the fantasy equivalent of the Battle of Gettysburg. Brute force, nobleborn stupidity, low cunning and political ambition playing out in fast-forward, cutting back and forth between parties on both sides of the battle, with everyone's lives either significantly advancing or hitting sudden violent conclusion within the period of less than a week of fictional time.

In other words, Abercrombie managed to provide a coherent and enjoyable story with every character getting a beginning, middle and end in a single book. Maybe these characters tie into other novels, but I don't care. It was a great standalone read.

Top Bottom