• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Books] Good "One and Done" Fantasy?

Fruitbat

social justice witch
Validated User
The Good Fairies of New York, urban fantasy about a pair of scottish punk fairies who end up getting lost in New York. They... cause problems.

Old Scratch

Validated User
Since it hasn't been mentioned MAR Barker's "Man of Gold".
I had forgotten to mention that one. Saw it on my shelf and thought I'd mention it. An interesting book, not the first choice for introducing someone into fantasy, but a great recommendation for someone looking for something other than bog standard fantasy. It draws upon non-Western influences so it makes for a very different read than your typical fantasy novel. Flamesong, a related book was alright, but not as good as Man of Gold.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Wouldn't The Odyssey be disqualified due to being part of a series? It was the sequel to the Iliad, after all.
:)

Though I might be alone here, I'd suggest The Golden Ass by Apuleius. I'm quite a fan of that fantasy story, on multiple levels.

Khyron

Pope Orion Orangutan Omnibenevolence Kosmos, Yes
Validated User
Dealing With Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede: Technically it starts a series, but it seems to stand on its own legs well enough.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

JustJo

Mother Knows Best
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Sword in the Stone by T H White (technically part of a trilogy but reads fine on its own, and is a classic. Also lots of bizarre detail about falconry.)

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
Sword in the Stone by T H White (technically part of a trilogy but reads fine on its own, and is a classic. Also lots of bizarre detail about falconry.)
Trilogy? _The Once and Future King_ is just a single large book to most of us, I think. And also worth mentioning.

Top Bottom