Books We Are Reading 2019 [merged]

Leif

Mountain Ape
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Now on P. W. Singer's Cybersecurity and Cyberwar and Poul Anderson's Guardians of Time. One I can sometimes read in down time at work, the other not so much. Anderson didn't say "wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey" in his justification of time travel, but he might as well have.
Anderson pretty much invented a bunch of time travel clichés in his stories.

Leif

Mountain Ape
RPGnet Member
Validated User
AFTER THE WAR:REDEMPTION'S BLADE by Adrian Tchaikovsky is the first part of a duology (I think). I hit a snag reading about midway through and almost abandoned the book. However, I preserved and did enjoy the last half (I think the unrelenting grimness was the reason for my hiatus). I am currently ordering more by this author.
Children of Time. Do it.

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, I finished The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth #3) by N.K. Jemisin last night. It left me with mixed feelings. It is another well-written novel and a fitting end to the trilogy. On the other hand, not only does Jemisin still adhere to the familiar epic-Fantasy storyline she feels the need to spell this out to the reader. "It's a rusting quest" is literally something (the narrator assumes) Essun thinks at one point. It's like in the second novel where she has to explicitly spell out that there's magic in her world.
Back in the 80's, there was the Ozarks trilogy, where there's evil afoot, and the main character has to go on a quest. Unfortunately, for her, questing is a THING, with proper form or etiquette. She has to go visit each of the different countries, and do questing things with their rulers. It's a lot of work, only tangentially related to solving the actual problem. (There's also the aliens who want to invade, but can't because of their rules. I don't think that affects the plot much.)

UtumnoTheFool

Validated User
Finished Books of Blood I last week, now finishing Books of Blood II. Should i continue with the series, start Coldheart Canyon or take a break from Barker and start Lumley's Necroscope?

Moritz

user, registered
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Finished Books of Blood I last week, now finishing Books of Blood II. Should i continue with the series, start Coldheart Canyon or take a break from Barker and start Lumley's Necroscope?
The authors are nothing alike, I'd just continue with Barker.

Moritz

user, registered
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Are we including each and every book?

Babypflege - Schritt für Schritt [baby care - step by step] by Birgit Laue :D

Also a weird one - Der Wolf und die sieben jungen Geißlein [the wolf and the seven young goats] by the Brothers Grimm and Ilse Aichinger. This is a modern remix by a famous Austrian author. The booklet just has 24 pages, the actual story is just 3 pages long...

Grumpygoat

Validated User
I finished Kitchen Confidential recently, my interest inspired, like so many others, by Bourdain's suicide a few months ago. Good book, amusing, though I have to wonder if my lack of surprise about nearly...anything...is because of who I am, personally, or because more information about the ins-and-outs of restaurants has since filtered into wider culture, partially due to this book. The high rate of failure, kitchen machismo, just how gross or bloody food prep can be, and so on, mostly elicited a mental "Well, yeah" from me.

Oddsod Blok'ed

Revolution In Apt 29.
Validated User
I finished Kitchen Confidential recently, my interest inspired, like so many others, by Bourdain's suicide a few months ago. Good book, amusing, though I have to wonder if my lack of surprise about nearly...anything...is because of who I am, personally, or because more information about the ins-and-outs of restaurants has since filtered into wider culture, partially due to this book. The high rate of failure, kitchen machismo, just how gross or bloody food prep can be, and so on, mostly elicited a mental "Well, yeah" from me.
Yeah, I have this book on my shelf for the same reason and expect to find most of the same things when I get round to reading it.

But I like a good turn of phrase and Bourdain had shitloads.

Top Bottom