• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Books We Are Reading 2019 [merged]

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
I'm just now finishing up Elizabeth Bear's Jacob's Ladder Trilogy, which might be one of the best pieces of science-fiction I've ever read. It's also the first work of Bear's I've ever read, and it has definitely put her into my "must read more" category.

Andy-C

Setec Astronomer
Validated User
Staying in a galaxy far, far away, I'm starting Timothy Zahn's Thrawn: Treason this afternoon.

Boris

I am invincible?
Validated User
Having recently received a Kindle voucher I've gotten over my reservations about novella pricing and started reading the Murderbot Diaries.

So far I strongly empathize with Murderbot's desire for all the humans to stop bothering them so they can watch space Netflix in peace.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
So far I strongly empathize with Murderbot's desire for all the humans to stop bothering them so they can watch space Netflix in peace.
This! I haven’t identified as strongly with a sci-fi book’s protagonist as I have with Murderbot!

Seroster

Miw!
Validated User
I have to say I also strongly identified with Wells' character Moon in the Raksura books for what seem like panic attacks. (And if you like Murderbot I recommend those, though Moon isn't snarky!)

Garry G

Hippy Dippy
Validated User
I've been readingthe Dynamite Comics run of James Bond by Warren Ellis. Loved all of it, he does a good dark and rather broken Bond.

Benjamin Percy follows him up and I'm a bit disappointed with the first collection and annoyed with myself for being disappointed. It's good and he's clearly talented and having fun but he's just not as good. Seems a lovely guy as well.

Capellan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Adventure North by Sean Bloomfield
This account of the author's canoe trip from Minnesota to Hudson Bay probably has its strongest writing moment right at the start, as he leaps into a description of a morning late in the late trip, where they're battling bitter cold, the fear of polar bears, and approximately one billion bloodthirsty mosquitoes. It's one of the few moments I felt truly "in his shoes", with much of the rest of the tale being interesting but feeling more at arm's length, and less impactful because of it.

Top Bottom