• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Books We Are Reading 2019 [merged]

rolanddarktower08

Validated User
Guy Leschziner - The Nocturnal Brain: Nightmares, Neuroscience, and the Secret World of Sleep - I'm reading this mainly for personal reasons (sleep disorders) but it is fascinating on its own. Author is a neuroscience MD (duh) specializing in sleep disorders.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I checked with my pro writer friend.

"Pantser" means someone who writes fiction without a prepared outline or plan.

It does NOT mean didn't do the research.

RAM

Validated User
THE PERILOUS ADVENTURES OF THE COWBOY KING - A NOVEL OF TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND HIS TIME
by Jerome Charyn has a cover that made me think this was turning TR into some sort of pulp hero (and that frankly is why I bought it). However it is instead a rather deep first person account of his life up to the point he becomes president. The times are well told- especially the political corruption. The final passage with Josephine the cougar evoked genuine sadness. Rarely does a book so defy my expectations and compel me to enjoy it. Yeah I recommend this one.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
Mutants & Masterminds: Height of The Storm
by Aaron Rosenberg

In a bit of a twist from ye olde RPG tie-in novels, Height is a surprisingly low-stakes, street level and personal supers story, detailing four lives changed by a major in-setting event and what they choose to do with their new gift. acceptable, but nothing stands out as particularly memorable, but I could totally see this story as a two-issue arc of Astro City

RAM

Validated User
A SONG FOR QUIET
by Cassandra Khaw is a 103 page novella with Lovecraftian elements. Set in the same world as her previous novel, it is more raw unflinching horror with superb characterization. Yes, I am going to read more by her. NOTE: This is not for the easily shocked/ spooked/whatever.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Finished all the MurderBot novellas. I can see why they are well thought of.
I know, right? I love the voice, and how little Murderbot understands themself. It’s so refreshing to read someone so heroic who is truly oblivious to it.

Capellan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Winter Jacket (Winter Jacket #1) by Eliza Lentzski
So-so lesbian romance about a college professor getting into a relationship with a former student of hers. It's narrated by the professor, who I didn't find a very appealing person. This did not help the book, which also suffered from a poor editing job. When your POV character is supposed to be teaching writing, she should know what words mean, and use them correctly.

A Peace Divided (Peacekeeper #2) by Tanya Huff
When mercenaries take a bunch of scientists hostage on a remote world, and demand the science types find them a possibly mythical ancient weapon they believe is on the planet, Strike Team Alpha - along with some unusual allies - are sent to resolve the issue.

This is a rock solid SF adventure yarn.

Top Bottom