• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Border Lands Isekai

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Make sure that there's a drink at hand and that the gloves are charged. Insert the chip and settle the headset on your forehead. Watch the screen load; generic bronze fantasy font #16 spells out Treasure of the Border Lands and a flash of gold underneath. The letters dissolve into a swirl and you "fall" into it, soaring across a heavily wooded land as a man with a sonorous British accent (Patrick Stewart? Ian McKellen?) narrates.

"Mannheim. Peaceful and prosperous for generations under the rule of wise Emperors and powerful Dukes." More sweeping vistas over generically Medieval cities crowded with bustling crowds. Humans, goblins, salimar, and elves nearly blend into a seamless mass but the occasional treefolk or karhu stands out. "Rich and solid, these are lands where the mighty rule and the helpless cower under their banner." Shots of clashing soldiers with arrows and magic spells arcing overhead.

"People with ambition and drive find their ways to the Border Lands!" The point of view takes you through a narrow mountain pass to a wide-open scrubland; compared to the heavily forested, hilly terrain behind you, now you can see to the horizon. "Here, men and women with purpose can achieve much." A spiraling view over a city with high walls and rough buildings. "And here is where your story will begin."

Finally the 'camera' comes to rest at a gate just inside the city. A generic human male stands there, looking vaguely heroic and purposeful. Text boxes and arrows to either side suggest how you could customize this avatar to your desire. Later screens brought up specifics of ability and equipment choices. Here is where your journey begins.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Kayleigh doesn't waste any time - one advantage of always playing the same character is it makes character creation a breeze. She pages through, selecting skills, equipment, and customizing appearance. She doesn't worry too much about the choices - she can always remake the character if she finds something she doesn't like, after all.

Spoiler: Show

Through it all the game tries to present her with little bits of lore, but she doesn't pay any attention - if other games are anything to go by, they're probably just whining that "elves" are lovely hippy people and wouldn't be an assassin named Blackheart that goes around murdering people for gold. The game's writers can say whatever they want, but they aren't the boss of her, and if there's anything important to actual gameplay it will probably come up in game.

Doc_Chronos

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Jennifer hummed to herself as she set her options for her newest incarnation. Well, not a real 'incarnation' of course... 'instance'? Whatever! This was going to be fun! Yes. Yes. Of course! Nope. Maybe... oh that looks good! Done. Time to go!

IMG_0029.JPG

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Rich Armintraut finishes the last cigarette he's going to smoke for a while and ceremonially slaps on a nicotine patch. He checks the cat's food dispenser and water dispenser and the expensive Japanese kitty litter thing, that one is really important, then gets his comfy chair ready. Water, protein bars, voice recorder, check.

He regards the VR headset with loathing and says to no one in particular, "Screw you, Elfwife, this should have been you." His voice echoes in his small empty apartment, and it reminds him to turn on the voice recorder. "Testing, testing... OK. This is Splodey from YourGameSucks.Com with an exclusive sneak peek at the alpha play-test of Treasure of the Borderlands. Some of you may recall my previous statement that VR MMO games are 'a cancer on the face of reality that will doom the entire human species like a bad episode of Star Trek', and my opinion hasn't changed a bit. But I am going to review this pre-release alpha anyway, and that's because of you, dear listener. We do it all for you, which means that it's all your fault. Just a reminder, this review is of an early stage game that's probably got some crappy placeholder art and content, but still! Treasure of the Borderlands was rated in the top ten most anticipated releases of last year, so now that it's in alpha, people must be really excited... right? Yeah."

Having got through the initial patter, he pauses the recorder while he puts on the gloves, headset, and gets comfortable. Then he triggers the voice recorder again and adds, "OK, so at least for this alpha, they're doing some kind of auto-group thing so we all go out in little pods of six like kindergartners, so there will be other heroes taking part in our little quest! I'll probably edit them out later, but whatever, I'll describe them as we go and critique their outfits, 'kay?"

He hits the stud to activate the headset and sits through the intro, commenting sarcastically on it in the classic Splody manner that he ripped off from MST3K reruns. Then talks his way through the character generation process. "Elf, boring! Dwarf, boring! Treefolk.... still boring! Salimar... hold on, they get to heal from standing in a fire? That's so broken, I love it! Let's see if I can make a salamander fire mage who sets fire to everything so he can heal, then sets fire to even more stuff. That's the kind of quality roleplaying you'll only get here at YourGameSucks.Com!"

He haphazardly picks through more options, a salamander-boy who grew up in the swamps of wherever and was raised to sell crappy magic items to gullible farmers but always dreamed of something better, yada yada... "Fire magic, boo-yah! Markmanship, double boo-yah! And, let's see, maybe alchemy so he can make Molotov cocktails. This is a character with a theme and I am sticking to it. OK, he's a cute little bastard with robes and a staff, let's see how long he lives before his own teammates stab him to death out of self-preservation, shall we?"

He finishes the last options menu and says to the invisible recorder, "OK guys, let's go burn Mannheim to the ground."

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
Mark starts scrolling through the various builds and traits, weighing his options. He's hopeful that he'll actually get to play with a real group again... years of PUG's and soloing has left him a bit jaded however. I'll probably end up as some sort of druid again... useful in a party, but the pet still let's me go it alone if things don't work out.

Mark's eyes stopped when he saw the Magus. He'd always been attacked to a gish type character, but Paladins were often his only choice. He tried ignoring the religious aspects of the class, but was usually too much to bear.

This though... He looked over the various abilities... nodding to himself. This class could be a DPS monster... but If I spec it like this...

A few moments later he had the build he wanted. He knew it wouldn't fully come online until later levels, but Mark was excited.

He flipped through the cosmetic options, picking the features he wanted for Allistar. He'd already named his charscter... the concept had come to him while he was picking his traits. After that he filled out his avatar's backstory. Most people just skip this step, but for Mark the story is what came first. If this was his escape from reality, he was going to make the most of it.

OOC: Allistar in game

A moment later 'Allistar' materialized in Mannheim for the very first time. He looked down at his gear, confirming what he expected... that he was wearing starting versions of the gear, not the impressive and decorative set it showed him while he build his avatar. No matter... I know who and what I am. A Journeyman Magus just setting g out from the academy and arriving in the borderlands. I'm here to make my name... and that requires hard work.

Looking around he saw that he wasn't alone on the platform. Well, here goes. "It seems our journey begins here. I'm Allister." Mark had to keep himself from getting to into his character just yet... at least until he got to know his party. Not a lot of players get into the whole RP aspect of these games... got to hold back for now.

Last edited:

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Elias Stone directs his electric wheelchair up to the virtual reality terminal in his study that he'd designed with some help from the guys in the department and settles in. He'd spent all day preparing for this event, so he was ready: home-cooked food like cheddar and potato-stuffed pierogies for snacks, a pitcher of sweet iced tea with lemon, a fresh change of clothes, and a brand new blanket decorated with fantastical monsters spread across his thin atrophied legs. He pulled on the gloves, inserted the data chip, and took a deep calming breath before lowering the headset over his eyes. Let the game begin.

He'd been anticipating this release for a while with all the hype in the media, and couldn't wait to lose himself in the fantasy world. Paging through the varied selections, he passes over the basic choices... before landing on a karhu, a mighty bear-type species. What a shift from reality, he muses fondly before selecting it. He flicks through the alternate subspecies before settling on a polar one with brilliant white fur. Might as well stand out.

Karhu were far better with their claws than weapons, so he'd capitalize on that -- he was tired of the sword swinging hero trope anyway. He chose a great proficiency for armor, heavy armor of course, followed by a boost in physical strength that would put him into the top tiers of crushing enemies with his bare hands. Er, paws. Whatever. With only one slot left, he considers what to pick. I'm already built like a tank, I should go for something that increases my HP or resistances. Just as he's about to choose however, his hand twitches in the wrong direction and sends the screen spinning into the magic abilities.

He's about to navigate back up when he realizes that he in fact can pick from these as well. Magic? The thought is appealing to him. It would make for an interesting twist at least. No one would see that coming. So upon further reflection he chooses an ability that lets him utilize powerful mysticism locked within scrolls. There. All done. Or so he thinks, until the character name screen pops up. He frowns -- this is what he always had the most trouble doing, naming a character to his satisfaction. He thinks, and thinks, and thinks but just can't seem to find a proper name. Right when he's about to give up, he stares at his character's armor and then grins brightly.

'Iron'.

Perfect.

With everything done, Iron materializes in Mannheim ready to adventure. A notification appears: it seems for this alpha playtest he'd be grouped with five other players. The idea made him a bit apprehensive, so he just stands there on the rune-inscribed platform waiting to see who joins him. There were a few folks present already: a couple of stealthy looking characters, what was maybe a paladin, and a tiny lizardman practically glowing with fire. And he stood head and shoulders over them all. This was going to be interesting. When Allister greeted the assembled, he raised a paw bigger than the man's head in return, but said nothing.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
The little salamander looks up from playing with fire between his fingers, and up further to see the big bear. “Hey there, big fella! I’m Yaxolotl the Mighty and I’m going to be standing right behind you from now on.” He waves with fiery webbed fingers.

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The little salamander looks up from playing with fire between his fingers, and up further to see the big bear. “Hey there, big fella! I’m Yaxolotl the Mighty and I’m going to be standing right behind you from now on.” He waves with fiery webbed fingers.
"Iron," he murmurs down at the tiny (to him) salamander. "You do that." Looks like he's the tank, so it only makes sense that the more fragile party members would let him get all the aggro. He just hopes that the fiery lizard won't set him aflame accidentally.

Doc_Chronos

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Jenny Silver materialized in Mannheim. She looked about, her soft smile growing alarmingly. Home. She danced a tiny jig in place, as she looked for her new friends. Hmmmmm. Little lizard guy, neat. Paladin, maybe? He'll be handy. Hope he's not too too overbearing. Big, big Panzerbjorn! Ooooohhhhh know who I'm gonna be hiding behind. She giggled. And last but not least, cute dark elf girl. Welp us girls gotta stick together.

Jenny Silver walked over to the elf, hands in plain sight, "Hi. I'm Jenny Silver." She offered the elf a happy smile.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Jenny Silver materialized in Mannheim. She looked about, her soft smile growing alarmingly. Home. She danced a tiny jig in place, as she looked for her new friends. Hmmmmm. Little lizard guy, neat. Paladin, maybe? He'll be handy. Hope he's not too too overbearing. Big, big Panzerbjorn! Ooooohhhhh know who I'm gonna be hiding behind. She giggled. And last but not least, cute dark elf girl. Welp us girls gotta stick together.

Jenny Silver walked over to the elf, hands in plain sight, "Hi. I'm Jenny Silver." She offered the elf a happy smile.
Kayleigh would wilt on meeting someone new. Kayleigh would stutter introducing herself. But she isn't Kayleigh, she's Kelina

She looks down at Jenny's hand, then fixes a level stare at the woman herself. The kind of stare that might make someone feel they're being judged, and harshly at that. Finally, after a delay just long enough to be awkward, she nods stiffly. "Kelina. As long as you don't get in my way, I don't expect any trouble."

Top Bottom