• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Boxed Games] Recommend Me Two Games

E_MacLeod

Spirit Detective
Validated User
So I am looking to buy two games... ... ...

The first is an Adventure board game. The two I have read about are Talisman and Runebound. Are they the best out there? If not, what is in your opinion? If so, which one should I go with.
Fantasy themed. I don't mind lengthy games (3/4 hours is about my max though). Co-operative or competitive, either way is good. Price to content ratio of the game's basic set is more important than supplemental material available. I own Descent and consider it a dungeon delving game, not an adventure game.​

The second is a Deck Building game. I've read about quite a few games but I get the sense off of boardgeeks.com that Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer is my best option.
It is hard to say what I would prefer here... Theme is still important as I'd like to keep it fantasy themed. 30 minutes to an hour for a game should work. Quick setup and clean up. Honestly strategic.​

I would greatly appreciate any words of advice, suggestions, observations and comments. :D

E_MacLeod

Spirit Detective
Validated User
Yes sir, my apologies...

Part of it is theme. Part of it is mechanics.

In a game like Descent the characters are hacking their way through a dungeon and being opposed strictly by the Overlord. Additionally, the game's strategy comes in the form of rationing out actions, money and rolling well. Co-operation among players against one player.

In a game like Talisman the characters are traveling across the country on a quest and they are opposed by random events and monsters. No Game Master-type player required. Usually not a whole lot of miniatures involved. (pushing the price down, hopefully) Competition between all players.
(I speculate on Talisman as I haven't actually played it :p)

Geoff Watson

Validated User
Thunderstone is a good fantasy-themed deckbuilding game. I haven't played Ascension so no opinion there.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/53953/thunderstone

As for Adventure games, I haven't played one that I really like. Runebound was better than Talisman, but they were both very random with little player interaction. They also seem like they'd get boring quickly as the adventure cards are the same each time.

Geoff.

old hat

Banned
Return of the Heroes is fun but make sure you get the corrected rules from Board Game Geek. There are a lot of errors in the printed one.

Calculon

Emergency Comedy Hologram
Validated User
For Adventure games, Runebound is pretty much the epic standard. Lots of supplemental options. Seems to have a decent core, people say it's pretty long, and by all accounts "it tells a story with each game" which sounds like a key criterion.

If you don't like Descent from a dungeon perspective, perhaps consider one of the campaign expansions? Breaks it down into smaller dungeons but a bigger overall adventure, and where Road to Legend gives you the "overland" map, the newer Seas of Blood structures the whole game around crazy pirate ships and naval navigation. Pretty cool, but the "core" gameplay is still a series of dungeon encounters.

I could recommend Ravenloft, though it's still on a grid. Uses the basic concepts behind the D&D ruleset, and it's nice and clean, and I think it has the best components of any boardgame since Space Hulk. A real challenge, but it's still largely a single adventure that makes up a "dungeon delve" campaign.

On the other hand, a nice compromise between that and Talisman is the WoW Adventure Game (not the "World of Warcraft Boardgame") -- it doesn't have as good miniatures, but it does have enough to start with; you crawl across a map and accomplish quests, but you don't really get to interact too much other than the occasional crossed sword. Sort of like a non-linear Talisman.

scorch

Pree-cisely
Validated User
Regarding your first question: did you check out the Middle-earth quest game.

I have to confess I don't have it yet, but I am strongly inclined towards buying it as it is a mixture between cooperative and competitive as one player plays Sauron's forces.

I own Runebound, Talisman and Return of the heroes and I can say that after a couple of plays I am still indifferent to all of them. Nothing really hooked me. What would I give for a new, shiny edition of Magic Realm, hmmm.....

But as usual this is a very personal opinion/experience. YMMV.

DDogwood

Cyborg Space Pirate
Validated User
I don't really consider it a "game", because I feel that players don't have enough influence on the outcome, but I know a lot of people who really like Tales of the Arabian Nights as an adventure game. It's certainly got a lot of replay value, assuming you like that sort of thing, and it definitely puts the players into epic fantasy adventures.

When you mention a strategic deck-building game, all I think of is Dominion. It's not really fantasy-themed, though. More generic medieval.

E_MacLeod

Spirit Detective
Validated User
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks!

Thunderstone is a good fantasy-themed deckbuilding game. I haven't played Ascension so no opinion there.
The only qualm I have with Thunderstone is that folks say it takes very long to setup, play and clean up. What do you say on that point, sir?

As for Adventure games, I haven't played one that I really like. Runebound was better than Talisman, but they were both very random with little player interaction.
I'm okay with the random bit. :)

Regarding your first question: did you check out the Middle-earth quest game.
I do like LotR quite a bit but I get the feeling that Middle-Earth Quest wouldn't deliver precisely what I am looking for. I might pick it up later, though. :)

I own Runebound, Talisman and Return of the heroes and I can say that after a couple of plays I am still indifferent to all of them. Nothing really hooked me.
Hm... Are you interested in letting any of those go any time soon? :)

For Adventure games, Runebound is pretty much the epic standard. Lots of supplemental options. Seems to have a decent core, people say it's pretty long, and by all accounts "it tells a story with each game" which sounds like a key criterion.
Runebound has been on the top of my list... I wanted to see if any pros could tell me if that was a good way to go. Plus, it ties into Descent.

I like Descent... but I don't have it with me right now, that bad ride is in Michigan! I do want to learn more about the "overland" map though.

I could recommend Ravenloft, though it's still on a grid. Uses the basic concepts behind the D&D ruleset, and it's nice and clean, and I think it has the best components of any boardgame since Space Hulk. A real challenge, but it's still largely a single adventure that makes up a "dungeon delve" campaign.
I think Ravenloft would be another game I'd like to pick up or simply check out at some point in time... but at this moment, I don't think it fits precisely with what I'm looking for. :)

On the other hand, a nice compromise between that and Talisman is the WoW Adventure Game (not the "World of Warcraft Boardgame")
I've heard differing opinions on that one. I think my local Barnes & Noble has it at 40% off.

Calculon

Emergency Comedy Hologram
Validated User
I've heard differing opinions on that one. I think my local Barnes & Noble has it at 40% off.
My copy was a sample copy. So it was free, but I enjoyed it enough to pick up a couple of the character packs just to mess around. It's quick and pretty fun, but I don't know if I'd be into shelling out for the whole game -- was never quite compelled enough to make it a main play. Worth trying first.

Thunderstone would also be my Fantasy Deckbuilder game, but it's 30-60 minutes for a session. If that's too long, it might not be up your alley, but it definitely feels like a full game.

Top Bottom