• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Brikwars] Anyone make their own faction?

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
So, I'm toying around with the idea of getting into Brikwars. Likely by buying like 50 skeletons and weapons for them off of Bricklink to start. But I don't want just some skeletons, I want a faction! With some backstory, and a few tidbits jacked out of the more elaborate 2001 rules or just made up entirely and roughly playtested, and some custom vehicles and the like!

But does anyone else do this, or am I completely barking up the wrong tree? And if anybody's done this, what sorta faction themes did you rig up, because now I'm curious and want to see some examples to help my madness.

CADmonkey

Validated User
Have you had a look around the Brikwars forums? The Armory subforum is full of threads showing off peoples factions & backstories. There's even a wiki devoted to Brikwars with a section on factions, full of various player's personal factions.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
I did not. Those...Are quite a lot of factions.

Not many people seem to be messing with the idea of altogether different abilities and edges the way the big guys do, though. Curious...

CADmonkey

Validated User
Not many people seem to be messing with the idea of altogether different abilities and edges the way the big guys do, though. Curious...
From what I can see, that sort of stuff gets posted in a different subforum, dedicated to "Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations". And of course, this is a beer & pretzels game with DIY minis, no need to sell the latest mini/army by giving it new powers no-one else has. ;)

ROU Xenophobe

Retired User
I have! I think of them as Hammer's Slammers, as interpreted by Walter Sobchak. Oh, hey, I think I have my hero now...

If you're buying skeletons, better invest in some plague rats as well. And be sure to read this section of the rulebook carefully. Much insight into the intrinsik nature of BrikWars can be gleaned in these threads as well.

Preliminary stats for Walter:
Skill:1d12 (crazed, ignores pain) Move:6" (overweight) Armor:2d6
Weapons: Bowling Ball (thrown object), .45 pistol (Range:6" Damage:1d6+1)

Suggested Feats / Special Abilities / Hijinks:
- I Can Get You A Toe, Believe Me: May spend an action to instantly acquire one object, 2x2 brick sized or smaller, per game.
- Am I The Only One Who Gives A Shit About The Rules?: When enraged, may cancel one What I Say Goes roll per game.
- Dude, At Least It's An Ethos: +2 bonus to all damage rolls against nihilists.

Last edited:

jimthegray

Validated User
So, I'm toying around with the idea of getting into Brikwars. Likely by buying like 50 skeletons and weapons for them off of Bricklink to start. But I don't want just some skeletons, I want a faction! With some backstory, and a few tidbits jacked out of the more elaborate 2001 rules or just made up entirely and roughly playtested, and some custom vehicles and the like!

But does anyone else do this, or am I completely barking up the wrong tree? And if anybody's done this, what sorta faction themes did you rig up, because now I'm curious and want to see some examples to help my madness.
how did I never know about this game :)

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
Nah, it's been on the backburner. I need someone else to play against, and right now I'm toying with building a Mechaton/MFZ squad instead. I mean, no reason I can't do both, but I wanna focus on one in particular, you know? Plus, whatever I do, I'll need to build an opposing force for so someone can jump right in.

ROU Xenophobe

Retired User
Oh god, Walter playing Brikwars, or any wargame...
Yeah, I couldn't stop laughing either. I'm sure he's got a whole closet full of old Avalon Hill stuff that nobody will play with him any more ;).

MFZ is definitely going to be easier to buy parts for, since it's limited to 40-50 different pretty common parts (by design :) ). Minifig scale gets insane real fast - and dear god, do not buy Star Wars figs on Bricklink. In fact, one of the best ways to defray lego-buying costs is to buy Star Wars sets and sell just the figures for some ludicrously high percentage of the set's price.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
Yeah, I learned that fast. There is a twisted irony in the fact that clone troopers are actually going for a bit of money, last I checked. Nothing like some of the rare figures, mind you, but a lot more than the genericest soldier to ever live should cost.

Top Bottom