• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

BRP/D100 Replacement that's Available as Soft or Hard Cover?

kronovan

Validated User
My softcover of the Basic Roleplaying 4th Ed rules bit the dust a while ago and I've got the itch to run a campaign. My style of GMing is to have everything on my tablet in PDF, but have a printed copy of the CRB at the table for my players. So with BRP no longer in print and preowned copies of the SC or HC fetching ridiculous prices online, I'm looking for an in print replacement. That rules BRP out, unless there's some 4th ed. reprint or newer edition coming from Chaosium that I'm unaware of?

I'm a big fan of Alephtar's BRP historical fantasy settings and own 4 of them, so rules that would allow me to run them are a priority. I've noted that Alephtar currently has their own BRP/d100 CRB called Revolution d100. That book would get top consideration for me, if the rules would allow me to transparently run my BRP settings. However, after searching online retailers I can't find printed copies and the impression I get is that they were only available to those who supported the crowd funder. I already own a Call of Cthulhu 6th Ed SC and it or any edition of CoC isn't what I'm looking for. I see that a new Runequest is available at LGSs, but having only played 6th ed a few times as a player, I'm not sure how compatible it is with BRP 4th content? It's also very pricey in my neck of the woods. Legend is also available at LGSs and it's low cost - also extremely cheap for the PDF. My understanding is that it's based on RQ 2, which having never played it don't know if it's close to the last edition of BRP.

I'm very experienced with adapting content to other RPGs, but I'm currently doing a fair amount of that for True20 and D&D 5 and are really looking for core rules that will make that unnecessary. So if anyone knows of any in print BRP/D100 rule book available that would suit my purposes, I'd very much appreciate hearing about it.

BigJackBrass

Two Separate Gorillas
Validated User
Rather strangely my post just vanished. Anyway, to reiterate, you can still buy the paperback of Basic Roleplaying from Chaosium. I think it's only the hardback that's OOP.

kronovan

Validated User
OK good to know and thanks for the info. I'm in Canada and RPG books often aren't as easy to source. My ideal situation would be to purchase it through a LGS (easier to leverage in-store tables pace then), but none of them can find a distributor for the SC - strange since some carry CoC and the new Runequest. Right after you posted I checked the Chaosium website and did indeed find the SC, but it would cost me about $80 CDN after shipping - too costly for my likes. Now that I know it's out there though, I'm going to do another round of emails to LGSs to see if one might be able to find a distributor.

Last edited:

Lawrence Whitaker

Validated User
Mythras is available in both soft and hard cover, is the rebranded RQ6, available at very reasonable cost from Drivethru and Lulu. And about 90% compatible with most BRP material. The free Mythras Imperative (download from designmechanism.com) gives you a very good idea of the system.

And, we're a Canadian-based company...

Bilharzia

Validated User
I think Mythras is printed locally in Canadia and I don't think you would have any trouble using BRP material with it. I've converted Chaosium RuneQuest 2 adventures from the 80s as well as Call of Cthulhu and BRP monographs. Historical-fantasy is well catered for by the official supplements which include Mythic Britain, Logres, Mythic Constantinople, and Mythic Rome. There's a 3rd printing out which has addressed remaining errata so the rule book is pretty refined at this point.

GM Joe

GMing Since 1982
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, they really need to add the BRP softcover to the POD options they have on DTRPG. I'm glad so many of the monographs are available that way, but it'd be nice if the Big Gold Book itself was...

kronovan

Validated User
OK cool, I'll definitely check more into Mythras.

I downloaded the Mythras Classic Fantasy character sheet from the website and it looks to be considerably different than BRP 4e. The core characteristics look to be similar with CHA replacing APP and just the absence of EDU. I've noticed a series of 10 attributes though, that for the majority don't have a BRP equivalent; skills look considerably different too. I'm looking to run The Celestial Empire and Dragon Lines, so there's martial art styles that I'd need to consider. Is there any rules included in Mythras for adapting/converting BRP 4e stat blocks?

BTW the website URL you listed is incorrect; correct site is thedesignmechanism.com.

kronovan

Validated User
Thanks for the link. Whoah - downloaded the character sheet from that site and Revolution d100 looks to be as different from BRP 4e as Mythras is! I wasn't expecting that. In comparison it does look to have advanced in the direction of simpler, but I'm not sure how well that would accommodate a BRP stat bloc or a Celestial Empire one for that matter? Similar to my question about Mythras, is there any rules or guidelines included on how you'd adapt/convert a BRP 4e stat bloc?

[Edit] I did download the Package template/building your own game world doc, which does answer a few questions but not most. I'm also wondering if that rpgmeeting site listing for the SC is for POD or an in stock preprinted book? And I'm wondering if anyone knows what the shipping cost would be to a Canadian address?

Last edited:

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Mythras is clearly descended from the RQ line, but given it comes through the Mongoose RQ offshoot, there are some things that would feel pretty radically different to someone who was used to old-style BRP.

Top Bottom