• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

BRP Elric! vs Mongoose Elric

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
I've been looking through my copy of Elric! (Chaosium, 1993), and quite like it.

How does it compare to the more recent Mongoose version? How compatible are the two games?

Also, what supplements or adventures for either game are highly recommended?

Thanks! :)

Chaot

I feel that people should be Celebrated.
Validated User
Here's the thing. I much prefer the Elric!/SB5 rules, but Loz and Green wrote a ton of the MRQ Elric line. So, both versions are mandatory. :D

As far as scenarios go, 'See Hwarmgaarl and Die' is easily my favorite to run on new players. It has never failed to surprise and terrify them.

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
I should mention that I've already ordered Corum from Chaosium, as I prefer the Corum stories over the Elric ones, and the price seemed reasonable (I guess that Chaosium is trying to unload its stock, as it's no longer producing the game).

More generally, I'm not a huge fan of Moorcock's fiction overall (I don't dislike it either -- some stories I'm quite fond of), but I really like his 'million spheres' setting (or 'meta-setting') and the whole 'Law versus Chaos' cosmological struggle.

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
Here's the thing. I much prefer the Elric!/SB5 rules, but Loz and Green wrote a ton of the MRQ Elric line. So, both versions are mandatory. :D
Is it easy to use material for MRQ Elric with BRP Elric!?

As far as scenarios go, 'See Hwarmgaarl and Die' is easily my favorite to run on new players. It has never failed to surprise and terrify them.
Thanks for the suggestion! Where is that scenario located?

Corum

Validated User
I should mention that I've already ordered Corum from Chaosium, as I prefer the Corum stories over the Elric ones, and the price seemed reasonable (I guess that Chaosium is trying to unload its stock, as it's no longer producing the game).

More generally, I'm not a huge fan of Moorcock's fiction overall (I don't dislike it either -- some stories I'm quite fond of), but I really like his 'million spheres' setting (or 'meta-setting') and the whole 'Law versus Chaos' cosmological struggle.
Corum will be perfect for you. It is the best product in the entire Eternal Champions line - by either Chaosium or Mongoose - simply because of the great sorcery system.

Kagemusha

Takeda Shingen's monkey
Validated User
Mongoose Elric has reintroduced much of the magic available in Stormbringer 1-3. Despite much of the criticism directed at how SB magic was not representative of the Elric stories, we have things like Demon Types (Combat, defence, desire etc) and bound demon weapons.

Still, I didn't mind that in SB, so this was a good thing in my view.

Mong Elric has also expanded the Magic system and have done their research. As mentioned the books were written by Lawrence Whittaker and Charles Green, and they have worked on several Chaosium books. They know their stuff and you can see their passion for the subject.

The Cults system with compulsions is refreshing and interesting.

My gripe is the Mongoose RQ in that it is a little cumbersome in places. I'd rather run it in BRP.

Conversion for most things shouldn't be too dificult, except for spells and their effects. For this you might need to do some work.

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
Mongoose Elric has reintroduced much of the magic available in Stormbringer 1-3. Despite much of the criticism directed at how SB magic was not representative of the Elric stories, we have things like Demon Types (Combat, defence, desire etc) and bound demon weapons.

Still, I didn't mind that in SB, so this was a good thing in my view.

Mong Elric has also expanded the Magic system and have done their research. As mentioned the books were written by Lawrence Whittaker and Charles Green, and they have worked on several Chaosium books. They know their stuff and you can see their passion for the subject.

The Cults system with compulsions is refreshing and interesting.

My gripe is the Mongoose RQ in that it is a little cumbersome in places. I'd rather run it in BRP.

Conversion for most things shouldn't be too dificult, except for spells and their effects. For this you might need to do some work.
Thanks for your comments!

Some follow up queries:

Given the additional conversion work necessary for spells and their effects, could one use the MRQ Elric 'Cults' system easily with BRP Elric/Stormbringer?

How is MRQ too 'cumbersome'? The combat system?

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
Corum will be perfect for you. It is the best product in the entire Eternal Champions line - by either Chaosium or Mongoose - simply because of the great sorcery system.
That's reassuring! :) I'm looking forward to getting Corum (if Chaosium ever gets around to processing my order).

Top Bottom