• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

BRP vs MRQ

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
Which would be better for a fantasy campaign (of the 'swords & sorcery' variety, not so much the 'high fantasy' variety, but where magician PCs are a viable option, i.e., not all magic is 'evil'): Chaosium's Basic Role-playing system (the version published in 2008) or Mongoose's Runequest system?

Thanks! :)

Eisenmann

10th Level ADD Gamer
Validated User
You might want to check out OpenQuest.

These days it's my chosen D100 variant because I find it clear, concise and easy to run. If I want to tinker it up a bit I'm able to pull in BRP and/or MRQ options.

If I had to choose between Chaosium's BRP or Mongoose's Runequest, I'd probably go with straight BRP and build up to what I want.

LeftWingPenguin

Dual-classed GM/Rabbi
Validated User
I haven't read MRQ, but the new BRP book has everything you would need to do straight-up swords and sorcery. Take your pick of magic systems (probably Sorcery, though Magic might work too) and you're off!

SDLeary

Myrddin Emrys
Validated User
You might want to check out OpenQuest.

These days it's my chosen D100 variant because I find it clear, concise and easy to run. If I want to tinker it up a bit I'm able to pull in BRP and/or MRQ options.

If I had to choose between Chaosium's BRP or Mongoose's Runequest, I'd probably go with straight BRP and build up to what I want.
What he said... with the addition that the Classic Fantasy monograph for BRP makes everything nice and easy, especially if the rest of your group is from a DnD background.

SDLeary

The Venomous Pao

excellent folding chair!
Validated User
I'd go BRP just for the sake of having a nice, blank canvas to start with (i.e., without the Runequest baggage - which I'm not knocking, it's just not what I personally am looking for). Add the Classic Fantasy monograph as suggested by SDLeary above and you're golden.

rstites

Validated User
I agree with the others on BRP. It's a tighter overall rules system for one. It's also loaded with optional rules and suggestions so you can craft it to your specific game world. It does have 5 power systems in it, two of which are straight up magic, with different takes on it. The mutations would work as magical mutations in the right setting too. I'm running a S&S campaign with it over in the pbp section and have my world and rules synopsis posted on the wiki under the name Griffin Island, if you want to check it out. I'm using the Sorcery system as a priestly magic system in my world, and using the Magic system as the traditional arcane, scholarly magic in the world. We have 1 PC with each type of magic and 3 PC's without magic.

Also, if you want to run MRQ, I'd be very tempted to hold off until MRQ2.0 comes out, supposedly this January. It's already been announced.

Web Warlock

Ghost of Albion
Validated User
BRP.

Both are good and can do S&S well. After a point it becomes flavor.

That being said I do prefer BRP.

Tim

Ace

Banned
BRP has a better armor system (less crazy restrictions and better but still correct protection) and I think slightly better rules. MRQ is well supported a decent system and free and legal to try

You won't go wrong with either

Corum

Validated User
BRP hands down. Its more flexible, has everything you want in one nice, inexpensive book, and you can use supplements from Stormbringer, RQ, Cthulhu, etc without a problem.

Top Bottom