• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Building my first Homebrew - A Supernatural Campaign

therealaliwa

Hey everyone!

This is my first post - and I am looking for some advice on being GM and building a Homebrew Campaign.
I am a newbee GM - only being GM for part of my groups Pathfinder Jade Regent campaign for about 6 months. I really enjoyed it, but had briefly taken the reigns for our usual GM.

Our group has been discussing what we campaign we would like to do next, after Jade ends. We've decided we want to play a Homebrew Supernatural (TV show) world campaign. The GM and I have spoken and he is feeling a little stretched thin, so he has asked me to step up and take over the GM role for the new campaign.

So I have very slowly begun to build this Homebrew. I've decided on a rule system - we will be using the rule system/style from Dungeon World. I really want the story to be the main focus so Dungeon World seems ideal, less math, more story! I am in the process of tweaking the classes to more Supernatural themed ones. Right now my classes are: Hunter (Fighter), Angel (Cleric), Demon (Reversed Paladin/ Immolator combo), Witch/Warlock (Wizard), Werewolf (still working on this one), Vampire (Immolator/Thief combo) & Shapeshifter (Druid, kinda).

As well, I have a general idea of the 'Conflict' I will be using as our story base. It flows something like this:
Demons/Monsters are breaking 66 seals to open the Gates of Hell (for the players to get the hang of the play style)> fight Azazel with Sam&Dean> Gates of Hell open, hunt more demons & monsters> come across a Knight of Hell> must be destroyed> Make a deal with Lucifer for the Mark of Cain> Find & destroy Knight of Hell> Oh no! Need to remove the Mark (Use this as an opportunity to turn a good character bad)> involve Rowena, find ingredients for spell> Uh oh! Lucifer appears! He wants to become Death & you are going to help him, as per your deal! (The end will be when they defeat Death or Lucifer, whatever route the players decide.)

Since I have never done a Homebrew before and am fairly new to being a GM, I would love any and all advice and tips of building this campaign. If you have idea's for moves, story, or just tips on how to be a great GM or build a great Homebrew, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks all!

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
Dungeon World + Supernatural = Monster of the Week.

No need to do the heavy lifting yourself on the rules.

therealaliwa

Dungeon World + Supernatural = Monster of the Week.

No need to do the heavy lifting yourself on the rules.
Thanks! I definitely do not want to do the heavy lifting with the rules. I guess I'm just looking for story and world building tips, as well as any tips on how to be a great GM! I really want this to be an awesome experience for everyone!

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
Thanks! I definitely do not want to do the heavy lifting with the rules. I guess I'm just looking for story and world building tips, as well as any tips on how to be a great GM! I really want this to be an awesome experience for everyone!
Don't get to worked up about creating an "awsome' experience. If everyone is have fun , including you, then you are doing it right.

Create a baseline and outline but let the players create as much of the world as you do.

Narcisista

Social Justice NPC
Validated User
Definitely Monter of the Week if you want to use PbtA rules.The used to be a licensed Supernatural RPG using the original Cortex rules but that should be hard to find and I don't know if it would have much useful advice for you.

From what you're writing you seem to be cribbing mostly from seasons 1-5, correct?

therealaliwa

Definitely Monter of the Week if you want to use PbtA rules.The used to be a licensed Supernatural RPG using the original Cortex rules but that should be hard to find and I don't know if it would have much useful advice for you.

From what you're writing you seem to be cribbing mostly from seasons 1-5, correct?
That's definitely why I chose them! I figured it would make the most sense and be the easiest to tweak with what we were doing. I'm definitely focusing mostly on stuff from seasons 1-5, the OG seasons. Most of my players are super fans of the series and are the most fond of seasons 1-5 (did you know the show was actually written to end after season 5 and they had to scramble for season 6 since they got renewed?!) My players also mentioned they;d love for Sam & Dean and the characters from the show to drop in every now and again, so I;m trying to include that while still keeping the story open enough for them to make choices in what they want to do. :)

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
"Sam & Dean and the characters from the show to drop in every now and again"

Be careful with this. Having to complete with the known characters can turn off players. When they do show up have them provide logistics only and never involve them in the action. Unless your Pcs are saving them.

therealaliwa

"Sam & Dean and the characters from the show to drop in every now and again"

Be careful with this. Having to complete with the known characters can turn off players. When they do show up have them provide logistics only and never involve them in the action. Unless your Pcs are saving them.
Thanks for the tips! I definitely will not be dropping them in very often. For example, I want to start the game with a voicemail from Sam & Dean - hey other hunters, we need you to help us stop the demons from breaking the 66 seals!"

The players actually requested the characters from the game be dropped in every now and again. As opposed to excluding them completely or letting the players build characters based off of the tv show characters. I'm thinking I might drop them in for the first big boss fight with Azazel, maybe just have them off to the side of combat or get knocked out very early on.

You stated 'never involve them in the action' - I was thinking maybe over-powering the monster I use for Azazel and subbing in Sam & Dean to be on the players side to even the odds a little - not a good plan?

Thanks for commenting and being super helpful! You're awesome! :)

g33k

Validated User
NPC's saving the PCs is usually a problem... the PC's should usually BE the heroes, and be DOING the saving!

Maybe give the PC's a clean victory, and have the TV characters burst in 5 minutes later to get rid of the monsters... only to find the job already done! ;-) "Oh... uh... well... Good job. Listen, we had a couple of other issues we put off to come address this. Since you handled this so well, can you grab one of the others? Got some sort of evil Manitou thing-y out by the Great Lakes, and a voodoo priest making zombies in the swamps of Florida... Heads, or Tails?" (flip coin)

Knaight

Validated User
There are ways around it being an issue though. "We were in over our head and the NPCs rescued us" has a very different feel than "we managed a desperate holding action long enough for reinforcements to arrive; you're welcome civilians".

Top Bottom