• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Building my first Homebrew - A Supernatural Campaign

grubman

Grubby Smelly Gnome
Validated User
Accidentally opened this thread. I ran a fairly lengthy Supernatural campaign, maybe 10 years ago (?), started with savage worlds, then wrote my own D6 Supernatural, but this was right before the official Supernatural game was going to be released, and they “politely” threatened me if I kept giving mine away for free, ha ha. So I filed off the serial numbers and was giving it away as Preternatural...probably still floating around somewhere on the Internet...but that’s just rules.

My campaign was very much a knockoff of the show, with all the same elements...just none of the same characters. My PCs were 3 brothers (the Wesson brothers...yep, that cheesy) that drove around in a black Hemi Cuda. Thier mother was killed (by a bemon, of course) when they were kids, and thier dad is on death row for her murder. Each session was a “monster of the week”, with the overarching storyline of collecting the pieces of an ancient artifact (a dagger) that could defeat the demon who killed thier mother.

In any case, to Start out the game (and my “advice” for a cool experience), I told the players (this is a summary) thier mom was killed (gruesome murder) in the hospital after the birth of the youngest brother and they all saw the demon (children can see through his disguise), the father was arrested and they were all put into the foster system and separated....white me a brief story of how you grew up and became a hunter.

I then took each origin story and (in one of my favorite ways to start a campaign) wrote a solo adventure for each PC, so they would actually play out thier origin. It’s amazing how much you can take thier origin story and “twist” it to make it original and unpredictable...and still stick with thier idea. Then I tasked the oldest brother with bringing all the brothers together again.

By the time the campaign actually started, it already felt very “real”. Each character felt 3 dimensional with a private past, secrets, contacts, and experiences.

Just an idea you might want to toy with.

therealaliwa

Accidentally opened this thread. I ran a fairly lengthy Supernatural campaign, maybe 10 years ago (?), started with savage worlds, then wrote my own D6 Supernatural, but this was right before the official Supernatural game was going to be released, and they “politely” threatened me if I kept giving mine away for free, ha ha. So I filed off the serial numbers and was giving it away as Preternatural...probably still floating around somewhere on the Internet...but that’s just rules.

My campaign was very much a knockoff of the show, with all the same elements...just none of the same characters. My PCs were 3 brothers (the Wesson brothers...yep, that cheesy) that drove around in a black Hemi Cuda. Thier mother was killed (by a bemon, of course) when they were kids, and thier dad is on death row for her murder. Each session was a “monster of the week”, with the overarching storyline of collecting the pieces of an ancient artifact (a dagger) that could defeat the demon who killed thier mother.

In any case, to Start out the game (and my “advice” for a cool experience), I told the players (this is a summary) thier mom was killed (gruesome murder) in the hospital after the birth of the youngest brother and they all saw the demon (children can see through his disguise), the father was arrested and they were all put into the foster system and separated....white me a brief story of how you grew up and became a hunter.

I then took each origin story and (in one of my favorite ways to start a campaign) wrote a solo adventure for each PC, so they would actually play out thier origin. It’s amazing how much you can take thier origin story and “twist” it to make it original and unpredictable...and still stick with thier idea. Then I tasked the oldest brother with bringing all the brothers together again.

By the time the campaign actually started, it already felt very “real”. Each character felt 3 dimensional with a private past, secrets, contacts, and experiences.

Just an idea you might want to toy with.
This is really amazing and I really like it! Thank you so much! It's nice to see I'm not the only one who has tried to build a campaign like this!
I love your idea of having every start with an origin story. I was planning to try and do something similar, though my players will have the option of playing a number of different classes, not just hunters. I'm building classes for Hunters, Angels, Demons, Witches/Warlocks, Werewovles, Vampires & Shifters! I'm almost done the classes actually and it turns out my favorites so far are the werewolf and vampire! They're kind of a mix of thief, druid and a few other custom moves.
For our first session I was going to have the players build their characters and do a one night 'monster of the week' session to get everyone familiar with the play style (up to now we have been playing a Pathfinder campaign which is very different). Then I plant o have pre-made background story sheets for each player that I want them to fill out before our next session and then I will collect them to build it into the story! I'll definitely keep you idea in mind!

Starcrash

Validated User
Dungeon World + Supernatural = Monster of the Week.

No need to do the heavy lifting yourself on the rules.
Yet another +1 for this. If you were thinking of more monstery themes, I'd suggest Urban Shadows, but that's more Dresden Files than Supernatural. However, it's also PbtA so you could do worse than skim the playbooks for inspiration.

Top Bottom