• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

BUNNIES & BURROWS 3RD ?

RAM

Validated User
So I just noticed BUNNIES & BURROWS is out in a 3rd edition along with 4 adventures. This totally ambushed me and I bought the whole kit and kaboodle. Belatedly I ask what is the game like in this edition ? How does it play? What have you done with it? How does it look? Any and all relevant comments are very welcome.

BigJackBrass

Two Separate Gorillas
Validated User
I bought the whole kit and kaboodle
Skillfully slipping a rabbit pun in there 😄

I'm afraid I've not looked much into this. Although I love B&B, when this was first announced I decided that I really didn't need another edition.

RAM

Validated User
My copy arrives this Friday (August 16th). Of my 2 local gaming groups, I am the only one who has even heard of this game.

BabbageCliologic

Chess is a war over the board
Validated User
I'm a long-time fan of B&B and have played it since the early 1980s. I missed the 3e Kickstarter but was excited it got another edition.

I ran an online ~6 session mini-campaign on Roll20 a couple of months ago using the B&B 3e Light rules and adding the remaining character classes from the 1st/2nd edition to round out options from the four character classes available in the light rules. I used the Druid's Valley setting by B. Dennis Sustare that was originally published in Different Worlds magazine.

I set the game during Winter. The campaign was called "The Rabbit in Winter" and that was also the name of an epic poem that all the characters know.

Those rabbits that have survived one winter teach the others The Rabbit in Winter, a epic poem that instructs as well as entertains. Some say it was composed by El-ahrairah, from what he learned from Frith. Some say it was the Black Rabbit of Inle, as a warning to those who would foolishly squander their lives.

The Rabbit in Winter instructs the young rabbit what to eat during the winter, where to find food, how to avoid predators, how to parlay with other animals, common winter traps, both natural and Man-made, and more. Interspersed within the poem are humorous anecdotes, rabbit adventures, romances, tricks, great gambles and heady defeats.
I added a house rule where the players can add to The Rabbit in Winter poem and gain bonuses to their actions based on the poem stanza they add.

The game and my cludged 3e light + 1st/2nd system worked good. The finale where the characters fought a rabbit cult and their master, "the Big Bad" (aka a snowman), was epic and rolled up the game well.

I haven't bought the full 3e book yet but that's in the schedule as I'm still deciding whether to get the pdf + print or just the pdf.

RAM

Validated User
That sounds like fun. I played a couple of games of 1st edition in college during the late 70's. I think both involved tricking a farmer and raiding his garden. The campaign ended abruptly as the gm was arrested for selling drugs on campus (it was the late 70's).

ORtrail

Validated User
B&B is on my "I need to run this someday" list. I've owned the GURPS version since it came out, and picked up a PDF of the original edition several years ago. I never heard about the Kickstarter for a third edition, but I'd probably run a B&B campaign with some version of BRP or maybe Tiny D6 and the setting material I already have.

I might want to look into the adventures for the new edition though.

RAM

Validated User
My copy of the corebook and adventures arrived today (a day early - I love Noble Knight Games prompt shipping). It looks a bit crunchier than I anticipated but I merely glanced at the core for about 5 minutes. I will do a more detailed scan in a couple of hours.

gpsych

Validated User
I backed the Kickstarter and the book/system looks awesome. My group absolutely refuses to give it a try though. It seem sort of rules heavy considering its subject matter though.

RAM

Validated User
Production qualities are excellent and I am very pleased with the art. I am not sure about the system, but it does seem a bit jumbled. NOTE: This is based on an hour-long glance-through and a full read may change my mind. Nothing repels me about the game so far.

Top Bottom