• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

But...

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by count0 at 2005-07-07 10:56:10
Converted from Phorums BB System

But I'm not doing it for the money.

I'm doing it for the groupies!

Seriously. Following your logic, I would never do it at all. I make so much money in my main job, that I would never be happy with what an RPG might make me, even if I ran a company.

So I do it for vanity reasons, bragging rights, etc. And, perhaps, because what I am writing for has a small, specific audience, I will be given the opportunity to do more.

But it's all about the groupies, baby. Cubby chicks in chainmail, here I come.

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Ash at 2005-07-07 11:38:38

In that case, how would you like to fund a print run of a new RPG instead? *grin* C'mon, help the hobby! LOL

Ash

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by The Le Games at 2005-07-07 11:42:07

Funny, that is exactly why I do this. Nothing gives me more pleasure than seeing a good review of one of my pdf books on the internet.

The thing that pisses me off is that I get alot of bad looks and negative comments -- from other publishers!

They HATE that I don't take this all too seriously and like to have fun with it. They get all pissy and moany because of cover arts I use, or my marketing, or just the name of my book.

I have had several well known and big name publishers say negative things to me because "I am not doing this fulltime".

Geez. It's all about having fun, and that is what I am doing. But make no mistake, I would not keep doing this if I had to lose money on each book.

~The Le Games
www.TheLeGames.com

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Ash at 2005-07-07 12:26:41

Well said! We need more games publishers who are passionate about their products rather than just trying to make a quick buck.

Ash

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Lloyd Brown at 2005-07-07 13:14:20

Quick buck? Whoever said it was quick? And it's only a nickel to begin with.

Trust me, you have to love it to do this at all. There's nobody out there selling work if they hate it. The fans can tell it in the writing. The publisher can tell it in the writing and won't publish it.

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Lloyd Brown at 2005-07-07 13:47:10

There are a handful of people out there trying to do this for a living or for a significant portion of their income. I intend to speak to them. All are welcome, however! Even pdf publishers.

My point is that what you like to do and what you do for money are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Trust me. I owned a game store for 5 years and sold it to have more time to write.

But while I owned the game store, I didn't sell stuff for cheaper because it gave me warm fuzzies. I sold at the price that worked within my business model to maximize my profits. I loved the prestige that came with owning my own business. I had both: I had the benefits of a job I loved, and I drew a steady paycheck.

I could also own my own business if I had a hotdog stand downtown, selling chili dogs for $2 each during lunch hour. It wouldn't be as cool, though, and it wouldn't pay as well. Don't be the guy with the hotdog stand! Do what you want to do. Just don't do it stupidly.

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Tim Gray at 2005-07-08 05:46:30

Yeah. I think Lloyd's article boils down to, "If you want to be a well-paid writer, if just writing is what you want to do, avoid the RPG field." OK. But if you want to be a RPG writer, you can't avoid the RPG field. Yet, according to this article written by someone writing in that field, everything about it is offal.

Better advice: learn about the realities of RPG writing and publishing, then make your own choices based on what's important to you.

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Jonathan Ridd at 2005-07-08 06:27:59

Tim Gray wrote:
-------------------------------
Yeah. I think Lloyd's article boils down to, "If you want to be a well-paid writer, if just writing is what you want to do, avoid the RPG field." OK. But if you want to be a RPG writer, you can't avoid the RPG field. Yet, according to this article written by someone writing in that field, everything about it is offal.

Better advice: learn about the realities of RPG writing and publishing, then make your own choices based on what's important to you.

Well said, know the nature of the business. So either:

1. Get a day job and enjoy writing for fun and some pocket change.

2. If you think you are good enough and want to earn a living from it, get a job with the big guys WOTC or WW and maybe supplement that with magazine work etc, novels etc.

3. Write an rpg and publish it yourself, so yo can see how much money there is in it. My small independent press company has made me rich beyond my wildest dreams.

4. Don't criticize small press for being just that.

Jonathan Ridd
Cold Blooded Games

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Tim Gray at 2005-07-08 14:45:56

My publishing efforts have yielded wealth beyond the dreams of insomniacs!

R

RPGnet Columns

Advice for wannabe RPG writer

Post originally by Lauri S. at 2005-08-25 01:07:56

Hi Guys,

Looks like you've been around the block when it comes to RPG writing. I'd like to get started but don't have any contacts in the business.

Any advice on who to speak to would be well appreciated!

Lauri

Top Bottom