• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Buying on itch.io

Scutarii

Validated User
Hi,

There are several fun titles on itch.io that I am looking at buying but was wondering how the business model works. Am I paying the creators or am I paying someone else? Are there secret shady business practices going on that I'm supporting by doing so?

When I buy do I get 'access' or am I actually getting a download that I can keep and reuse as though I actually own it?

Thanks!

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
I can tell you that you will download a file that you will actually own. I've bought several RPGs through Itch.io and I've always gotten an actual PDF.

ChariotDriver

Validated User
According to Jack from Winter Wolves it's a better return for him than Steam, but there's still a cut taken by itch.io.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
A little bit of Googling suggests that Steam takes anywhere between 20 and 30% of a game's take, depending on units sold; games that move more actually end up paying less overall because volume means Valve still gets paid. Itch.io takes a flat 10%, which is better for pretty much everyone. If it wasn't for their being a direct download outlet I imagine you'd see some big names releasing on Itch.io.

Scutarii

Validated User
So I get to own what I buy AND the people making the games get a better take.

Sounds good, no scandals or suspect practices?

I...am not trusting of the games industry right now...

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Yeah as far as I know, they're pretty shiny as a platform, the only downside being a somewhat limited selection.

The Unshaven

Validated User
Itch.io gives by far the best proportion of sales back to actual developers out of all the storefronts out there currently, and puts it up to the devs themselves: it defaults to 10%, but developers can set it to 0% if they want and the store is fine with that. It is by FAR my preferred store currently and I see no reason for that to change.

Developers sometimes sell Steam keys, but mostly you get DRM free installers, sometimes alongside a Steam key.

The core problematic element that has surfaced on itch is that some assholes have surfaced periodically selling stuff that doesn't belong to them and pocketing the cash. It'd be like if I popped up selling D&D 5Ed books there because that's totes legit, yes, not lies at all.

It gets squashed as quickly as they can see it, but it's worth bearing in mind. If a particularly high profile game is there, it's often worth checking if the developer/publisher matches the people actually making the game through a quick websearch.

The number of high profile games there is rising, which I like - even if it's mostly high-profile indie. I can make some Strong Recommendations if people want?

Scutarii

Validated User
Itch.io gives by far the best proportion of sales back to actual developers out of all the storefronts out there currently, and puts it up to the devs themselves: it defaults to 10%, but developers can set it to 0% if they want and the store is fine with that. It is by FAR my preferred store currently and I see no reason for that to change.

Developers sometimes sell Steam keys, but mostly you get DRM free installers, sometimes alongside a Steam key.

The core problematic element that has surfaced on itch is that some assholes have surfaced periodically selling stuff that doesn't belong to them and pocketing the cash. It'd be like if I popped up selling D&D 5Ed books there because that's totes legit, yes, not lies at all.

It gets squashed as quickly as they can see it, but it's worth bearing in mind. If a particularly high profile game is there, it's often worth checking if the developer/publisher matches the people actually making the game through a quick websearch.

The number of high profile games there is rising, which I like - even if it's mostly high-profile indie. I can make some Strong Recommendations if people want?
Thank you, sounds like I can buy without worries for now. I'm looking at The World Next Door as it looks super cute.

Therion

Hi there!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I, for one, would like that. For one, I'd like to support Itch.io. Secondly, more (indie) games to check out. I only have The Away Team on Itch.io and I've wishlisted Dwarf Fortress (for when it makes its' appearance, it's not available yet)

Top Bottom