• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Buying on itch.io

Jody Macgregor

Hack Of All Trades
Validated User
Seconding that recommendation for Extreme Meatpunks Forever, and adding some more that are as far as I know only available through itch.

Butterfly Soup is a visual novel about teenagers and baseball that lists among its features: "harold they're lesbians". The writing's top-notch, very funny, and it actually made baseball sound interesting.

Everything is Going to Be OK takes the busted, glitchy aesthetic of early graphical operating systems, web pages from the 90s, and desktop minigames and crams them all together with cute rabbit creatures who may be in hell.

Localhost is a cyberpunk game where you have the shitty job of deleting obsolete AIs. But first you have to talk to them.

Scutarii

Validated User
Butterfly Soup is a visual novel about teenagers and baseball that lists among its features: "harold they're lesbians". The writing's top-notch, very funny, and it actually made baseball sound interesting.
I have that one open in a different tab right now. At a guesstimate how long do you think it is to play through?

The Unshaven

Validated User
Excellent. Short and sweet is by far my preference nowadays.
You'd probably like Night in the Woods. It's longer but still a focused, well-told story, and definitely shorter than most things out there.

I've found that isthereanydeal.com is a good way of getting better discovery on itch.io because you can filter isthereanydeal to just the itch store, and then go through alphabetically or whatever appeals.

Checking isthereanydeal has become habit for me whenever I see something interesting, and since itch is one of the only stores I've allowed it's a quick way to see if it's available too.

Scutarii

Validated User
You'd probably like Night in the Woods. It's longer but still a focused, well-told story, and definitely shorter than most things out there.

I've found that isthereanydeal.com is a good way of getting better discovery on itch.io because you can filter isthereanydeal to just the itch store, and then go through alphabetically or whatever appeals.

Checking isthereanydeal has become habit for me whenever I see something interesting, and since itch is one of the only stores I've allowed it's a quick way to see if it's available too.
Thumbs up!

Argent

aka Jerry Sköld
Validated User
There's a lot of great suggestions here! But if ya'll haven't played Heaven Will Be Mine, you really should. It's super good.
Seconding this. Not too many games manage to actually make me snort out my morning coffee laughing, but this one did. Really more of a light novel than a game, perhaps, but given the quality of the writing and the lovely characters I was more than okay with that.

Also doubling down on recommendations for Night in the Woods (which Unshaven sold me on in the first place, for which I am eternally grateful) and SUPERHOT. I consider both games essential in just about any collection.

The Unshaven

Validated User
Seconding this. Not too many games manage to actually make me snort out my morning coffee laughing, but this one did. Really more of a light novel than a game, perhaps, but given the quality of the writing and the lovely characters I was more than okay with that.

Also doubling down on recommendations for Night in the Woods (which Unshaven sold me on in the first place, for which I am eternally grateful) and SUPERHOT. I consider both games essential in just about any collection.
Yaaaay!

Also this is a really good place for me not to go on my "visual novels are games" ramble. A really good place.

(I will recognise that just because I think something's A Really Interesting Discussion doesn't mean it's a good idea to unleash it in an unrelated thread and probably derail the whole thing. I will recognise the dangers involved with being Uncle Dave the Plumber, the Person Who Sees The World Through Their Job. Om Mane Padme Om.)

Last edited:

Argent

aka Jerry Sköld
Validated User
Also this is a really good place for me not to go on my "visual novels are games" ramble. A really good place.
´tis fair. I did not intend it as disparaging in any way (merely denoting that it is more a story that you read making a couple choices along the way rather than something that you use twitch- or deductive- or whatever skills to get through), but given the fraught state of gaming I concede the point.

The Unshaven

Validated User
´tis fair. I did not intend it as disparaging in any way (merely denoting that it is more a story that you read making a couple choices along the way rather than something that you use twitch- or deductive- or whatever skills to get through), but given the fraught state of gaming I concede the point.
aaaaaa apologies, I just edited the last post to try to explain better what I meant.

Sorry for seeming like I was resisting arguing with you, it's an interesting topic! It was more that you reminded me about an interesting rabbit hole that Just Probably Shouldn't Go Here.

In fact, mental note: do a Why I Think Visual Novels Are Games thread if I have brains tomorrow. That could be interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom