• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Buying on itch.io

Scutarii

Validated User
would more recommendations be helpful at this point? I've reminded myself of a bunch of other stuff that's there too.
I wouldn’t complain. I’ve already bought a few (night in the woods, world next door, magical diary) so not looking to spend anymore money on games in the immediate term but worth knowing what’s what.

The Unshaven

Validated User
I wouldn’t complain. I’ve already bought a few (night in the woods, world next door, magical diary) so not looking to spend anymore money on games in the immediate term but worth knowing what’s what.
Alrighty, starting with the stuff people will most likely have heard of and then working through other cool things:

All of Double Fine's stuff is on itch, including the wonderful Psychonauts that everybody who wants a copy probably already has one of. The final spike in difficulty has been significantly fixed by patches. See also Day of the Tentacle Remastered, Full Throttle Remastered, Grim Fanfango Remastered etc.

Limbo and INSIDE are both wonderful, unsettling platformers - INSIDE seems to have more of an implied story so far though I've not finished it.

Tomorrow Corporation's games are on itch, but oddly enough World of Goo isn't there: we do have Human Resource Machine, Little Inferno and 7 Billion Humans though.

Baba Is You is a puzzle game where you can rewrite the fundamental rules of the universe by pushing blocks containing subjects and objects around the game's levels.

Doki Doki Literature Club is an infamous VN mystery story that is hard to avoid spoiling.

Crosscode is a 2D action RPG which RPS enjoyed. Here's a link to the review I got this quote from:

What’s CrossCode then? At its core, it’s a game that’s reminiscent of and heavily influenced by JRPGs of old. You play as Lea, an avatar within an in-universe MMORPG called CrossWorlds. But instead of a virtual world, the adventuring takes place elsewhere in a separate, physical planet, which means that both CrossCode’s videogame universe and the real world co-exist in the same realm. The inevitable eventually occurs, of course, in which both worlds collide through some coincidence.
Kentucky Route Zer0 is an amazing point-and-click adventure magical-realism game about a mysterious underground highway.

Escaped Chasm by Temmie Chang is game by one of the central people to Undertale outside of Toby Fox - yes, this is THAT Temmie. Features music from Toby Fox and looks amazing - I've not had time to play it yet.

Moon Hunters is a game of mythology, storytelling and legend that can be played co-op: you have five days to find out what happened to the Moon, and what you do will shape the legends told about your exploits in the future in ways that gradually impact replaying the game.

Long Live the Queen, aka the Sansa Stark simulator. You're fourteen, you're heir to the throne, and a significant part of the nobility would like you conveniently killed and replaced with someone of their choosing. Think fast, kiddo! Has a vast branching map of decisions to negotiate which stays internally consistent every time you play through, meaning it's a bit like a Groundhog Day detective story as you try to figure out how to stay alive.

Boyfriend Dungeon, the game of romancing your (diverse in race, gender, sexuality and body type) weapons before taking them out to battle monsters.

Bury Me, My Love. I'll let the blurb handle this one:

Bury me, my Love is a Text Messaging Adventure game about Nour, a Syrian migrant trying to find her way to Europe. Her husband Majd, who remains behind in Syria, communicates with Nour through a messaging app, advising her as best he can so that she reaches her destination safely.

“Bury me, my love” is a Syrian goodbye phrase that roughly means, “Take care, don’t even think about dying before I do.”
A Normal Lost Phone is a story told through trying to figure out how to return a lost phone to its owner.

Arcade Spirits is a VN that assumes the 1983 videogame crash never happened, and then has a diverse cast of misfits as possible romance options in an alternate history branching off from that point.

HAQUE is a game RPS enjoyed, and is a glitchy fantasy roguelike that features a "mounting sense of dread."

The Quiet Sleep takes the tower-defense genre and uses it for interesting narratively-impactful mechanics: you're building the character's mind to best fend off the challenges of every day life, such as fighting off frustration or taking initiatives of your own.

CRAWL is a local multiplayer game of shenanigans and calling your friends bad names: it's a dungeon crawl where one person is the hero, and all the other players possess the monsters. Means you effectively take turns being King of the Hill as you proceed through the weird story.

Brigador involves stompy mechs, mercenaries, and lots of explosions.

Crying Suns describes itself as rogue-lite mix of FTL, Foundation and Dune.

Neo Cab is about being a gig economy driver in a cyberpunk city. Does a very good job of using science fiction to explore present day issues.

Streets of Rogue is a top-down 2D immersive-sim like Deus Ex and the like, where you complete procedurally generated missions by... whatever means make sense to you. (wait, looks like this is effectively a demo and the full version is Steam only boooooooo)

Atma is a visually beautiful tale of a young woman trying to rescue her lover from being trapped in the spirit world... while also responsible for protecting the borders of the spirit world.

Thumper, a "rhythm violence game" that's like Audiosurf but disturbing.

Don't Make Love: You're praying mantises in love. Having sex probably kills somebody. But you really want to have sex. DILEMMA.

Tiny Bird Garden Deluxe: Like Neko Atsume, but for birds rather than cats.

That's... probably enough for now, though I'm not done yet. Itch... has a lot of good games.

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been wondering where to do my game shopping after dropping GOG. Been using Humble Bundle on and off and occasionally buying direct from the studio, but really what I am looking for is a marketplace that is not Steam nor GOG nor Epic. While Humble Bundle and GamersGate are an alternative, most of their stuffs are just Steam keys. I know of itch.io for years, but the fact that their games are often indie unknowns make it hard for me to curate, and having suggestions from all of you give me starting points. Thanks.

Imperious

Goatees = evil
Validated User
For what it’s worth: as an indie designer, I view itch.io as a good actor in the ecosystem. Their take is lower than Steam’s, they’re reputable, and their tools are easy to use. Itch also doesn’t do stuff that sounds good but isn’t, like Epic’s we’ll-pay-the-difference sale (which had the effect of devaluing some indie titles).

Every indie designer I know would rather you bought their stuff from Itch than from Steam. Unfortunately, Steam is so much better known that driving traffic to Itch requires extra advertising (on what is usually a verrrrrry small advertising budget). At this point I always check to see if I can get something on Itch before buying on Steam, and I’d encourage others to do the same.

The Unshaven

Validated User
For what it’s worth: as an indie designer, I view itch.io as a good actor in the ecosystem. Their take is lower than Steam’s, they’re reputable, and their tools are easy to use. Itch also doesn’t do stuff that sounds good but isn’t, like Epic’s we’ll-pay-the-difference sale (which had the effect of devaluing some indie titles).

Every indie designer I know would rather you bought their stuff from Itch than from Steam. Unfortunately, Steam is so much better known that driving traffic to Itch requires extra advertising (on what is usually a verrrrrry small advertising budget). At this point I always check to see if I can get something on Itch before buying on Steam, and I’d encourage others to do the same.
That's very much my plan.

I keep seeing interesting things mentioned on RPS, and while they frequently do catch and mention that the games are on Itch too, they more often miss it. So I mention it in the comments.

Raising Itch's profile seems like a long term good. For example, it's a big deal that Heaven's Spire has just been released on GoG despite them initially rejecting it, when they could have just released it on Itch instead and avoided funding gamergate supporting, union busting transphobes.

Scutarii

Validated User

Good to know :)

The Unshaven

Validated User
Streets of Rogue is a top-down 2D immersive-sim like Deus Ex and the like, where you complete procedurally generated missions by... whatever means make sense to you. (wait, looks like this is effectively a demo and the full version is Steam only boooooooo)
Also worth mentioning that this turns out to have jokes making fun of slavery in it - there's an unlockable slaver character who has a "gotta catch em all" goal of capturing every different kind of possible slave.

There's also other problematic stuff in there too.

The developer has not apologised as such for the material being in there in the first place, but has said he can see the problem now it's been drawn to his attention and is taking it out?

Ghola

Veteran of 100k psychic wars
Validated User
I love shooters yet suck at them. Is SUPERHOT a good idea or a terrible one for me? The ability to "pause" seems nice but the gameplay looks completely alien.

Top Bottom