• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Buying on itch.io

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
I'm not great at shooters, although I guess I've played a fair amount of them at this point. It's REALLY nice to be able to stop and think through your moves, and the levels are short and sweet.

Scutarii

Validated User
Welp just finished Butterfly Soup - super cute, loved it. ~3 hours was right, played it over the course of the week.

Min is...insane though. Kinda assuming Diya calms her down at some point 'cos that level of violence (even if explained) is not going to go down well.

Scutarii

Validated User
I’ve been recommended Celeste and the premise of working through psychological issues is enticing but the game also touts itself as a difficult platformer. How difficult are we talking here?

Am I likely to run into big difficulty spikes and stall on story progress? I can just about handle the old game boy Mario games.

And a UI question. Is there a way to filter so only completed games are shown? Nothing In Development.

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
I’ve been recommended Celeste and the premise of working through psychological issues is enticing but the game also touts itself as a difficult platformer. How difficult are we talking here?
Celeste is know for having a bunch of options to adjust the difficulty. You can find articles detailing that on Kotaku or RPS.

Wailing_Oboli

Hideous Angel of Technocratic Death
Validated User
Celeste is know for having a bunch of options to adjust the difficulty. You can find articles detailing that on Kotaku or RPS.
Here's Adam Smith's review at RPS; he talks about the difficulty in the last third of the review. One thing I'd add to that is this: even on the easiest settings, some of the optional content--collectibles, alternate versions of levels--is still quite difficult.

And a UI question. Is there a way to filter so only completed games are shown? Nothing In Development.
Not to my knowledge. I'm not sure you can even filter those out on Steam without a browser extension, and Steam is light years ahead of Itch as a browsable storefront.

ETA: Itch's poor browsability is why threads like this are valuable.

Wailing_Oboli

Hideous Angel of Technocratic Death
Validated User
Now, some new games!

Dicey Dungeons just came out! It's a quick coffeebreak dungeon crawler from the creator of Super Hexagon and VVVVVV. The structure resembles Slay the Spire, with equipment and d6s instead of cards. Each run takes 15-30 minutes, and there are several characters to unlock.

REDO! also just hit full release. I didn't know anything about it until today, but Tsutomu Nihei is cited as an influence which is more than enough for me to take a look. It seems to be a metroidvania?

Mech Chip's another metroidvania. I've played a little of it, and the movement is very satisfying. It also has a wide variety of color schemes available, in case the default white on black doesn't appeal.

Robot Wants It All is a collection of mini-metroidvanias, some of which were previously released separately. Note that this is from the developer of SPISPOPD, a weird little shareware game from 25 years ago.

Remember Castle of the Winds? Someone appears to be trying to remake it. Castle of the Valley's nowhere near full release, but I got a massive hit of nostalgia from the screenshots.

Scutarii

Validated User
Here's Adam Smith's review at RPS; he talks about the difficulty in the last third of the review. One thing I'd add to that is this: even on the easiest settings, some of the optional content--collectibles, alternate versions of levels--is still quite difficult.
That sounds fantastic with the flexibility there! Fears allayed, I can be confident in buying something I can actually play :)

StreetBushido

Validated User
I haven't really paid much attention to itch.io in the past, but this thread has changed that. Thanks for all of the recommendations!

Top Bottom