• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Call of Cthulhu] So what do I need to buy?

Mark D. Eddy

It's Twagic.
Validated User
I've tentatively agreed to run a Call of Cthulhu game for some of my friends, but my old rules ((might have been 1st or 2nd edition) disappeared in one of my moves. I've done some looking around and noticed that there is both a Keeper Rulebook and an Investigator Handbook. Do I need to buy both to get the complete rules, or will just the Keeper book have what I need?

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You just need the Keepers book. The Investigators book is for players who want their own copy of the rules, etc.

Neaden

Validated User
There are some useful things in the players book that aren’t in the keeper IIRC, some backgrounds and things like that, not necessary but nice to have.

Mark D. Eddy

It's Twagic.
Validated User
I realized I bought my original set of Call of Cthulhu rules at the same time I bought ElfQuest and Ringworld. It's been a while. I'm assuming some things have changed since 1985ish.

So I'll grab the Keeper book. If my players don't have the 7th edition of the rules, is there anything I need to be aware of, or is it different enough that they should get the new rules? My impression is/was that Chaosium's core BRP rules have been pretty stable across several editions, but the devil is in the details.

videopete

Validated User
The keepers rule book is the only book you need... the Investigators hand book only has expanded charactet creation rules and is the 1920s source book rolled into one. It also has guidelines on how to play as an investigator, ie violence is a the last option, explosives is a hilariously dangerous skill, if used in the manner that players are wont to do, players should be using the various skills to pull clues from the keeper, and magic and unknown alien technology is also dangerous.

g33k

Validated User
CoC 7e introduces a few new wrinkles, but it's still recognizably BRP, yes. All of the "wrinkles" are stuff that you could drop from your 7e game, or add to some other iteration of BRP, without breaking anything.

Jay

Pow!
Validated User
The keepers rule book is the only book you need... the Investigators hand book only has expanded charactet creation rules and is the 1920s source book rolled into one. It also has guidelines on how to play as an investigator, ie violence is a the last option, explosives is a hilariously dangerous skill, if used in the manner that players are wont to do, players should be using the various skills to pull clues from the keeper, and magic and unknown alien technology is also dangerous.
So, in other words, you kinda need the Investigators book, too. ;)

Edit: I've had the same question, as all I've got is the recently (and accidentally) acquired Starter Set.

videopete

Validated User
So, in other words, you kinda need the Investigators book, too. ;)

Edit: I've had the same question, as all I've got is the recently (and accidentally) acquired Starter Set.
Not really, you can do the same thing by specifically running low combat scenarios and gently warn them that playing with guns, and alien things will get them killed. Also to not forget to tell them to take notes, and and how to develop thier skills. After about two sessions and one or two rightly deserved self inflicted grusome deaths they should figure it out. The one thing you might want the investigators handbook for is the expanded occupations and background options (those cost sanity) and 1920s info, but you dont need them. CoC was and still is a single book rpg, but you will find your self collecting the awesome source books.

Rogerd

Validated User
🔴 Warning - Threadban
Don't buy Call of Cthulhu is the first good step.
Purchase Raiders of R'yleh, which is a 1000% better in every way.

Top Bottom