• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Call of Cthulhu] So what do I need to buy?

Jay

Pow!
Validated User
I don't hav the current starter set so I can't speak to how long a campaign you could run with that. I don't know if it has character generation rules which are he big need for campaigns.
It has really basic chargen, but only provides enough rules to run the included adventures, so (according to the website) it's about 20 hours worth of gaming.

Mark D. Eddy

It's Twagic.
Validated User
Yeah. I looked at the quick start rules, and it seemed really skeletal. I don't know if it's the same text as the starter set, but it looked like it would be about three sessions worth of material, and there wasn't any character advancement or such.

FickleGM

Validated User
The YouTube channels "Seth Skorkowsky" and "Don't Stop Thinking" both have some videos that I found helpful in discussing CoC 7e (I believe that "Don't Stop Thinking" has not completed their series on it, yet).

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
At one time the 7th ed quick start was free on their site. Looks like that went away 😲

Mark D. Eddy

It's Twagic.
Validated User
At one time the 7th ed quick start was free on their site. Looks like that went away 😲
From what I could tell, there is a set of "quick start" rules on their website, a free pdf that I downloaded, that has a streamlined (from what I remember of BRP) character creation and rules set, and a short haunted house investigation. I don't know how that compares to the "starter set" which costs ~$18.00 on Amazon.

Jay

Pow!
Validated User
From what I could tell, there is a set of "quick start" rules on their website, a free pdf that I downloaded, that has a streamlined (from what I remember of BRP) character creation and rules set, and a short haunted house investigation. I don't know how that compares to the "starter set" which costs ~$18.00 on Amazon.
The starter set is a little bit more indepth, with longer adventures, including a lengthy solo adventure, pregens, handouts, and dice. It's quite the nice starter set if you like such things. Not a Pathfinder/Starfinder quality set, but very nice nonetheless.

mitchw mitchw The quick start's been moved from the general CoC downloads to the Free Stuff area.

General_Tangent

Roof Dweller
Validated User
The starter set is a little bit more indepth, with longer adventures, including a lengthy solo adventure, pregens, handouts, and dice. It's quite the nice starter set if you like such things. Not a Pathfinder/Starfinder quality set, but very nice nonetheless.
I've been tempted with the starter set for the updated and expanded Dead Man Stomp

Abulia

Kushiel's Scion
Validated User
The Starter Set is a steal for $25. There's four adventures (one of which is solo), pregens, the core rules, basic chargen, character sheets, etc. It's a really good deal!

I have the slipcase set of 7th and can recommend it. Lot of good material there. What a difference a good layout artist and editor makes; 7th edition is the first edition of CoC that I feel like I can play and recommend to others.

Top Bottom