• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Campaign Systems: Sing to me, oh muse, of Campaign Systems great and small.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
One of my first loves was Necromunda. Oh, it was a janky wee game, with a trillion dice rolls before resolving anything, and a truckload of fiddly rules to remember. But I love, love, loved the after-battle phase, to the point where watching my gang grow and thrive (or shrink and die) was well over half the fun.

To the point where when, given the opportunity, I cannibalized it and grafted it onto Deadzone 2nd Edition, pared down a tad to suit a simpler game.

I'm interested in how other systems handle a series of linked games featuring ostensibly the same fighting force from one game to another. Ideally systems with light book-keeping, but anything from squad to company level games I'd be keen to scope out.

What are your favourite campaign systems, Oh OGO?

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Right now it'd be Deadzone's, but that's only by default having no exposure to any others. The fact that Company of Iron and Warmachine don't have campaign systems is definitely a loss to me, and the main reason I'm looking at the Oblivion expansion for WM/H.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Killzone has a pretty simple campaign system, but works well enough in that it adds some minor detail, experience to personalize your important soldiers and that's it (a little less random than old Necromunda though).

Urban Warfare seems to be a campaign system for 40k, but I haven't tried it yet.

Michael Lovejoy

Validated User
Burrows & Badgers has a full campaign system - long term injuries, wandering to meet new people, new skills/spells, new equipment / warband members, developing your warband's den etc... I think it's a decent system, but I wrote it, so I may be a bit biased! ;)
I wouldn't call it light on book-keeping though - pretty much Necromunda/Mordheim level.

Mawdrigen

The Warrior Reborn
Validated User
I'd say that Dracula's America seems to have a good looking one similar to necromunda, haven't played it yet though

A2A

Proud Member of the Fuzz
Validated User
I'm a huge fan of At The Sharp End, the campaign system for the Chain of Command platoon level WW2 rules. Its available as a pdf, has plenty of guidance on building your own campaigns whether as a generic series of battles or using real events and maps to generate a more historical set of circumstances, and is really low in book keeping.

The default is to have each player representing a platoon commander (though the many published Pint Sized Campaigns that use the system often vary this to suit the particular series of battles they represent), and as such the game tracks your CO's opinion of you and your men's opinion of you - the CO generally likes success and your troops generally like not dying (it's slightly more complex than that, but you get the idea), so its difficult to keep both sides happy - as well as your own personal outlook. A bad time can lead to you hitting the bottle quite heavily!

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
If you love Necromunda, you could do a lot worse than Blood Bowl! Less fiddly, I'd say, but with the same kind of continuity in your 'fighting force'.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The hottness in board games these days when it comes to campaign systems is probably Gloomhaven, which is number 1 on BGG as I'm writing this. It's a campaign based dungeon crawler that not only has a leveling system for characters and the titular city, but its system for character retirements and bringing new characters into the game is integral as well. Why would you want to retire a character? Retirement offers the following benefits.

1) The next character brought in gets an additional Perk (think "feat" in D&D terms) for each character that player has retired.
2) Retirement is one of the few times a character will have enough money to Enhance cards, which means physically adding or increasing statistics to the effects that a class has. For example, your magic missile spell can now potentially Disarm everybody it hits for a turn, or it can do more damage, or Curse the enemies targeted, or hit one more target.
3) There is a series of random events that happen between scenarios. Retirement usually adds at least two events related to the class retired. If you unlocked a new class with a retirement (which will happen the majority of the time) you will also add two new Events related to the class you unocked.
4) Later in the campaign there's the possibility that Retirement will unlock certain Random magical items for purchase as well as a Random Quest Scenario.

Top Bottom