Can we use gunpowder? Please.

Back in 1987, the first edition campaign set for Forgotten Realms stated that the laws of physics in the Realms world were such that firearms would not work in this world. It appears that Ed Greenwood, along with many of the old school gamers thought that guns do not belong in a D&D world. I used to think so too. The pre-industrial society seemed essential to the fantasy genre as I understood it. Good ole Ed didn't want any gunfights in his world. Was he right to do that? Of course any DM should be able to make his world the way he wants to; but the bigger question is this:

Are firearms contrary to the spirit of D&D?
Sure computers and cell phones wouldn't fit in, but if we're taking inspiration from actual history, then we should remember that the end of the medieval period did see the introduction of gunpowder weapons. It now appears that the designers of the current D&D products are OK with gunfire in the fantasy world. Smoke powder is in the rule books, and the Artificer class introduced in the Unearthed Arcana articles has a specific type of inventor called a gunsmith.

It may be that people think firearms would ruin magic somehow. Why do you need a fireball when you have a thunder cannon? Maybe there's just a worry that the game would become unbalanced if bugbears kept bringing swords to a gunfight.

I'm fine with having firearms in the game? What does everyone else think?

Remember: guns don't kill people; beholders do.

Elfwine

Validated User
I don't think they're necessarily contrary "to the spirit of D&D", but that doesn't mean I personally want guns in any given campaign. It's not Bad in the sense that I have some kind of argument against them being a thing at all, it's just not my cup of tea.

If you feel they and the changes they make work well for you, it's not as if a lot of D&D isn't more like the 16th century than the 13th anyway is my take.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
I've been listening to Critical Role, and they do a pretty good job in the Vox Machina campaign with incorporating firearms into the game without ruining either guns or conventional fantasy weapons. After all, the Musketeers were also accomplished swordsmen.

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You do whatever you want in your game. No-one is going to kick in your door and shout "Canon Police! Freeze!" over you having firearms in your D&D game.

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
You do whatever you want in your game. No-one is going to kick in your door and shout "Canon Police! Freeze!" over you having firearms in your D&D game.
If you stick with handguns and muskets you should be fine. I've heard they're mostly concerned with cannons.

Dalillama

Validated User
There were a ton of 2e supplements with guns in; Spelljammer, frex. Hell, even the Realms got guns in late 2e, out of Gondor IIRC. They used magical 'smoke powder', which was an excuse to make it way expensive, but they were there, and it wouldn't break anything to make them more common. They are in my Spelljammer game. One of the PCs favors a double barreled flintlock pistol in her left hand and a sword in the right.

Constructman

Validated User
First off, a new iteration of the Artificer UA was released last month. The entire class was retooled and the Gunsmith was removed. The rationale given was that the completed Artificer is going to be included in the final version of the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron and firearms don't fit the setting due to how ubiquitous magic is (musketeers are replaced with "arcaneers").

(Also Lantan is back in 5e Forgotten Realms. Presumably they've brought their guns with them.)

Secondly, I've looked at the firearms rules in the DMG; all the modern stuff is undoubtedly OP, but the pistols and muskets look fine, gaining a higher damage die in exchange for expensive ammunition and no way to circumvent the loading property. I wouldn't have a problem with somebody wanting to use one, setting permitting.

David Howery

Validated User
There were a ton of 2e supplements with guns in; Spelljammer, frex. Hell, even the Realms got guns in late 2e, out of Gondor IIRC. They used magical 'smoke powder', which was an excuse to make it way expensive, but they were there, and it wouldn't break anything to make them more common. They are in my Spelljammer game. One of the PCs favors a double barreled flintlock pistol in her left hand and a sword in the right.
Gondor? But yeah, it was a side affect of the Time of Troubles, when Gond was stuck on Faerun with all the others, so he got to inventing stuff. Not quite sure where they first appeared... was it in that hardcover book on the Realms?

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
I don't see why you can't have it. I think what really fowls things up is people insisting the weapons derived from it have to act pseudo-realistically instead of how every other weapon acts.

Dalillama

Validated User
Gondor? But yeah, it was a side affect of the Time of Troubles, when Gond was stuck on Faerun with all the others, so he got to inventing stuff. Not quite sure where they first appeared... was it in that hardcover book on the Realms?
ISTR there was a whole nation of Gond worshippers at some point, but many of my books have disappeared over the years and there's a fair number I never had to begin with. I don't recall where any of this is.

Top Bottom