• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel Controversies

George Angell

Validated User
I keep hearing that there were a number of controversies surrounding Captain Marvel, but the only thing I've actually seen was that Brie Larson wanted to talk to more varied and divers groups during the press junket. Was that it? Was there anything else going on or was this just a case of the usual suspects making a molehill and calling it a mountain?

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
... was this just a case of the usual suspects making a molehill and calling it a mountain?
Bingo. For that matter, even the Brie Larson “quote” is a lot closer to the molehill end of the scale once you see the full context.

Crothian

Validated User
There's the one I heard people saying on these boards that the movie is fascist because they worked with the Air Force.

Scutarii

Validated User
There's the one I heard people saying on these boards that the movie is fascist because they worked with the Air Force.
The nuance there is that the film is/was being used as a recruitment ad for the US Air Force as part of the agreement to film on their bases. Some posters in the US said that they got USAF recruitment ads during the trailers for the film and some people reported USAF recruitment desks being set up in the theaters where it was screened.

Edit: considering it's a pg-13 aimed at drawing in younger girls it's unlikely this would be pulling in huge numbers of sign ups on the spot and, instead, is likely just there to provide leaflets and such to plant the seed in the heads of younger viewers hyped up from a cool film that they too could join the USAF.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
I keep hearing that there were a number of controversies surrounding Captain Marvel,
The controversies are all "it stars a woman" .

EDIT: I hadn't seen the USAF controversy. That IS a bit different. Enough to make me decide not to see it, actually.

The only "controversies" I had seen were labelled "Marvel head honcho defends huge plot hole" and similar transparent "it's just bad, ok?" clickbait.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
Apparently, all the box office data for the movie is also being falsified by Disney to cover up the fact nobody's actually seeing the film at all. I'm only half joking.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Apparently, all the box office data for the movie is also being falsified by Disney to cover up the fact nobody's actually seeing the film at all. I'm only half joking.
By "only half joking," do you mean you think it's possible Disney is falsifying box office data, or that this is a real conspiracy theory about the movie?

George Angell

Validated User
The nuance there is that the film is/was being used as a recruitment ad for the US Air Force as part of the agreement to film on their bases. Some posters in the US said that they got USAF recruitment ads during the trailers for the film and some people reported USAF recruitment desks being set up in the theaters where it was screened.
Isn't some sort of quid pro quo pretty much par for the course when a move production works with the military? Seems a bit far to call it fascist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom