• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel Controversies

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Need" how? The manga seemed to get by fine with depicting her as a human-form robot. Why couldn't the live-action version do the same?
...this is getting weird.

The people who were making the movie made a decision to do Alita as CGI. It worked, giving her a look that was simultaneously alien and like a young teen, which is what she needed to be.

But even aside from that, "I demand that you justify why a particular decision was made in directing a movie" is a really odd approach to take, at least unless that decision was catastrophic or evil.

Dave999

Validated User
Also, sadly, we can't really call Alita a success. If anything, it's ammo for the female-led stuff won't be a hit crowd as I understand it only turned a small profit.
Eh, small profit before the DVDs, streaming, and more.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It worked, giving her a look that was simultaneously alien and like a young teen, which is what she needed to be.
I thik whenever it works is differs from viewer to viewer
It the main reason why I have not and will not see the movie, despite wanting to.
Because Alita give a strong Uncanny Valley response and woudl be abler to comfratbly sit through movie where she has a majority of the screen time, no matter how good the character writting or acting is.

Pyrephox

Sheepish
Validated User
An unpopulated one or one populated by mindless rock monsters and rabid symbiotes?
I suspect they would enjoy the rock monsters and symbiotes more, since they punch back. Or, if the GotG hadn't already checked that box, they could take on Ego.

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I thik whenever it works is differs from viewer to viewer
It the main reason why I have not and will not see the movie, despite wanting to.
Because Alita give a strong Uncanny Valley response and woudl be abler to comfratbly sit through movie where she has a majority of the screen time, no matter how good the character writting or acting is.
...sure, but it is kind of weird to be arguing about whether it works when you haven't seen the movie and don't intend to. A few seconds on a trailer do not properly convey the effect.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
...sure, but it is kind of weird to be arguing about whether it works when you haven't seen the movie and don't intend to. A few seconds on a trailer do not properly convey the effect.
Each trailer released triggered that effect, including after the changes from the first trailer, and i afraid it would juts be stronger on big screen.
If it hits Netflix (over here), I can give it go and seen if I'm still affect.
But shelling out money for a ticket or a dvd, means I likely won't get much enjoyment for my money.

That said i probably be fine if it wasn't for the eyes (which for all I have heard were Gally's/Alita's defining characteristic in source material).

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Each trailer released triggered that effect, including after the changes from the first trailer, and i afraid it would juts be stronger on big screen.
If it hits Netflix (over here), I can give it go and seen if I'm still affect.
But shelling out money for a ticket or a dvd, means I likely won't get much enjoyment for my money.

That said i probably be fine if it wasn't for the eyes (which for all I have heard were Gally's/Alita's defining characteristic in source material).
I felt that way about the trailer too, but it worked for me in the movie.

A lot of it is body language and movement and related things. That helps to sell it in a way that dramatically looking at the camera can't.

But this is getting pretty off-topic, I guess.

WistfulD

Validated User
The more I read about these MRA guys.... the more I realize that I cannot even begin to fathom how their minds work.
As others have said, there is some where it is a 'someone is going to come out on top, I have to make sure it is my tribe' mentality. However, MRAs, like any other group, are not monolithic. There are a few I know in meatspace (neighbors and the like) where the driving mentality seems more tuned towards "it's really me and mine that are the ones being picked on!" or maybe "I want in on getting to declare myself persecuted." And for them, that's the driving force. That's probably more of the mentality for people that treat such things as a competition/game (a zero sum one, of course), and declaring oneself the true targeted demographic is an avenue towards victory. Regardless, my point is that there are multiple reasons and motivations, some of them not believing that the playing field is not level, and some knowing it is and wanting to keep it that way.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
As others have said, there is some where it is a 'someone is going to come out on top, I have to make sure it is my tribe' mentality. However, MRAs, like any other group, are not monolithic. There are a few I know in meatspace (neighbors and the like) where the driving mentality seems more tuned towards "it's really me and mine that are the ones being picked on!" or maybe "I want in on getting to declare myself persecuted." And for them, that's the driving force. That's probably more of the mentality for people that treat such things as a competition/game (a zero sum one, of course), and declaring oneself the true targeted demographic is an avenue towards victory. Regardless, my point is that there are multiple reasons and motivations, some of them not believing that the playing field is not level, and some knowing it is and wanting to keep it that way.
And the most vocal - your ComicsGate chuds-in-chief to keep it relevant to Cap - probably don't even care that much, they just have to continually stoke the fires of "outrage" even more to keep the grift running or else your following wanders away and you miss out on that sweet 'burn money to own the libs' dough.

Atlictoatl