Captain Marvel Controversies

Occam's Spork

be seeing you.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
...sure, but it is kind of weird to be arguing about whether it works when you haven't seen the movie and don't intend to. A few seconds on a trailer do not properly convey the effect.
Also, it should be noted that Uncanny Valley is not an absolute scale. People differ on how they fall in their comfort range. My girlfriend can't stand 90% of animation (even traditional) that looks human, because it skeezes out her own Uncanny Valley perceptions. That's a lot more extreme than most people. Then there are examples like Polar Express that made nearly everyone scream and run from Undead Tom Hanks.

EDIT: Weird copy paste issues.

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
Alita was CGI because James Cameron was an executive producer and the man has never seen a digital effect that he didn't want to take to bed.

Or maybe not. Either way, this discussion of "PROVE to me that Alita had to be 100% CGI" is sounding a lot like a sea lion. That's what the movie was -- that's the fact of the matter. Asking people who were not involved in the production of the movie and had no control over that decision... Can we refocus on Captain Marvel, please?

Armin

Martian
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Guidance:

Seriously, please take the Alita CGI discussion elsewhere.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
2. I've seen folk who have criticized romantic subplots involving other female leads criticise Captain Marvel for not having a romantic subplot.
A bisexual woman I know said that it's incredibly easy to read the relationship between Carol and Maria as queer. And that Carol is never really feminized--her Kree uniform looks more like racing bike leathers and when she's in civilian clothing it's always a t-shirt and jeans, possibly with a leather jacket and flannel, or flashbacks of her dressed like Axl Rose--which made her, at least, think Carol was kind of butch.

So Carol might be gay or bi, and if she is, I'm pretty sure the only reason she's not overtly so is that the movie has to open in China.

Litpho

Wandering stranger
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If people are happy imagining a relationship between Carol and Maria, more power to them. I didn't see any supporting evidence and I don't find the lack of negating evidence convincing enough to take a stand. If the intent was there but not shown onscreen for commercial reasons, I would prefer that intent to be shared so this can be marked as a positive thing for representation rather than a source of "did! did not!"-style arguments.

What I am happy about and what would not have been negated by Carol/Maria being more obviously a thing is the lack of tired romance subplot story beats. Especially if those beats would have reduced Maria to an agency-less damsel in distress.

Law Orc

Concerned Citizen
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like it as a platonic but extremely close friendship. A lot of entertainment media ask as though romantic relationships are the only ones that really matter. But my read of this one is that they were not a couple... but were just as important to each other as if they were.

Top Bottom