Captain Marvel Controversies

Litpho

Wandering stranger
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like it as a platonic but extremely close friendship. A lot of entertainment media ask as though romantic relationships are the only ones that really matter. But my read of this one is that they were not a couple... but were just as important to each other as if they were.
That's a more succinct version of where I'm at, thanks :).

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like it as a platonic but extremely close friendship. A lot of entertainment media ask as though romantic relationships are the only ones that really matter. But my read of this one is that they were not a couple... but were just as important to each other as if they were.
I read them as sisters. Wasn't there some indication that Carol had a rough time at home, and Maria's family basically adopted her? That would also jibe with Monica calling her "Aunt Carol."

Last edited:

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I read them as sisters. Wasn't there some indication that well had a rough time at home, and Maria's family basically adopted her? That would also jibe with Monica calling her "Aunt Carol."
I'd assume that she call her Aunt regardless since it generic term for friend of the family.

But yeah they probably have the Steve/Bucky kind of relationship.

Dave999

Validated User
Rumor is that Marvel is looking for an openly gay actor for a lead role in Eternals.
I feel a need to be a party pooper here but....wouldn't that be Eros?

The most heterosexual man alive?

Mind you, I'm all for gay superheroes and wouldn't be adverse to choosing Carol to be gay or other major characters. It's just that's Eros' ONLY character trait aside from his relationship to Thanos.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Rumor is that Marvel is looking for an openly gay actor for a lead role in Eternals.
Really now? How interesting.

I'd assume that she call her Aunt regardless since it generic term for friend of the family.

But yeah they probably have the Steve/Bucky kind of relationship.
Well, REALLY CLOSE friend of the family that might as well actually be.

Snow Goon

Credible Hulk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I read them as sisters. Wasn't there some indication that well had a rough time at home, and Maria's family basically adopted her? That would also jibe with Monica calling her "Aunt Carol."
Well, when I was a little kid I used to call my aunt's "roommate" Aunt Judy. On the other hand, that was about 10 years before Captain Marvel was set and I was raised in a Catholic household.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Yeah, we had an ‘Aunt’ who was a really close family friend. Also quite a character. They wound up in custody of Curt Kobain’s ashes for a bit.

Top Bottom