• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Captain Marvel Controversies

Fortinbras

Agent of Dream
Validated User
I feel a need to be a party pooper here but....wouldn't that be Eros?

The most heterosexual man alive?

Mind you, I'm all for gay superheroes and wouldn't be adverse to choosing Carol to be gay or other major characters. It's just that's Eros' ONLY character trait aside from his relationship to Thanos.
No, Eros is one of the Eternals of Titan. I'm assuming any Eternals movie would be based more on the Eternals of Earth, so probably Ikaris.

As for Carol's sexuality - I don't know what the filmmaker's intention was, and I'm certainly not going to tell any LGBTQ folks who read a queer identity in Carol or relationship between her and Maria that they are wrong.

Yeah, because no one has read anything into that relationship.
Heh.

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
I really don't mind Carol not being sexualized or relationshipped in this movie at all.
She didn't need any defined sexuality. I would even say that being asexual in this film was a plus.
It was more than enough that a tough strong female figure was the main character, kicked ass, saved the day, and proved she didn't need to prove anything to anyone.
Plus, monster space cat.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think we're so conditioned to expect a woman hero character to have a heteronormative romantic subplot, that the lack of one makes us seek the romance elsewhere. Maybe she's queer. Maybe she's ace. Maybe something else.

Or, it just wasn't relevant so they didn't, for once, throw the romantic subplot in for forms sake.

salinea

grievous lack of
Validated User
I think we're so conditioned to expect a woman hero character to have a heteronormative romantic subplot, that the lack of one makes us seek the romance elsewhere. Maybe she's queer. Maybe she's ace. Maybe something else.

Or, it just wasn't relevant so they didn't, for once, throw the romantic subplot in for forms sake.
When people, many of them queer women themselves, see the relationship between Carol and Maria as having queer subtext, it may not be the best idea to suggest they only do so because they're "conditioned to expect a woman hero character to have a heteronormative romantic subplot"... maybe?

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
I like it as a platonic but extremely close friendship. A lot of entertainment media ask as though romantic relationships are the only ones that really matter. But my read of this one is that they were not a couple... but were just as important to each other as if they were.
It's stated in the movie that Carol didn't get along with her father (who's seen berating her in a couple of the flashbacks) so Maria's parents took her in, and they grew up together. Which doesn't preclude a romantic relationship, but "sisters" fits the facts we're given just as well.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
When people, many of them queer women themselves, see the relationship between Carol and Maria as having queer subtext, it may not be the best idea to suggest they only do so because they're "conditioned to expect a woman hero character to have a heteronormative romantic subplot"... maybe?
You misunderstand - I'm not suggesting doing this is wrong. It's the first place I went myself while watching the film.

The problem is twofold.

One, the thing I mentioned - there's always a garbage romantic plot in there. Wonder Woman had one, for example. The lack of such makes Captain Marvel stand out. But why?

Two, queer people shouldn't have to settle for subtext and subtle coding. There should be unequivocal queer relationships in mainstream everything. The lack leads to awful shit like the shameless queerbaiting of the Sherlock series.

salinea

grievous lack of
Validated User
One, the thing I mentioned - there's always a garbage romantic plot in there. Wonder Woman had one, for example. The lack of such makes Captain Marvel stand out. But why?
Garbage romantic subplot are common, and Captain Marvel isn't the first one to lack one. Movies without one have been commented on before, too! People have gone on about Winter Soldier, for ex, as a movie in which Bucky and/or Falcon were treated as the love interest (in term of being the focus of the emotional narrative), for ex. Thor Ragnarok plain didn't have one either, and I don't think I've seen that sort of "gay subtext" interpretation of it, though.

It remains a minority of movies and you're right, movies shouldn't have a garbage romantic plot just because. I can think of a couple of marvel movies that would have been improved by the removal of such.

Two, queer people shouldn't have to settle for subtext and subtle coding. There should be unequivocal queer relationships in mainstream everything. The lack leads to awful shit like the shameless queerbaiting of the Sherlock series.
Well of course they shouldn't have to! But if they want to, they shouldn't be told they're only doing it only because of being conditioned by heteronormative culture, was my point.

Why go to the Sherlock series? Marvel movies have been a great examples of queer bait & switch (Valkyrie in Ragnarok for ex).

There's actually a cool fanvid that makes this point I saw recently:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/14793695

Top Bottom