• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Captain Marvel Controversies

randlathor66

Validated User
She didn't need any defined sexuality. I would even say that being asexual in this film was a plus.
Now that you mention that, I would say so too.
I think we're so conditioned to expect a woman hero character to have a heteronormative romantic subplot, that the lack of one makes us seek the romance elsewhere.
I am so guilty of that! As a lover of love, who wants everyone to be in love, I look for it everywhere. You can call me the Hallmark Movie Monster... :eek:
in the movie she kind of has a weird and creepy sexual tension with Yon-Rogg that thankfully goes nowhere.
Weirdly enough, I didn't get that. What I got was exasperated older brother or uncle to her little sister or niece.

bhu

Professional Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
People are now having hissy fits saying the Skrull are stand-in's for immigrants and the Kree are obviously taking a shot at ICE. Seriously

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
People are now having hissy fits saying the Skrull are stand-in's for immigrants and the Kree are obviously taking a shot at ICE. Seriously
Well, the first is obviously true. The Kree are only a shot at ICE if ICE is an international force that pursued immigrants into the US to try to steal their magic powers.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Re titles not showing up - nobody called Diana "Wonder Woman", either. Although here the groundwork was laid for Carol to use it as a codename with Fury, at least.

Amberpup

Validated User
Goose was probably a boy, or at least played by a quartet of them.
While in the comic, Chewie did become a mommy in later issues but for the movie Goose was played by four tabbies from Animals for Hollywood(named Gonzo, Rizzo, Archie, and Reggie). Reggie is a male, and the cat the CGI is based-on, and the cat taking to the first casting call for Goose. But its funny to read each cat has a specialty, the one to hold, the one to rub the leg, the cat to swipe, and the cat that is just the face cat.

Reggie was the cat that walked or ran around on command, and the most experienced with on-camera work.

SuperG

Validated User
Hey now.

That is NOT remotely fair to the Kree Empire. They're nowhere near that bad.

(Okay, okay, they are actually worse - Ronan tried to commit genocide in this movie too - but seriously people ICE needs all the shots taken at it)

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
We had a few refugee Skrull's in comic, through these were mostly Skrulls runing away from the Skrull empire.
Chief among them John Lennon (well Skrull who adopted personality of John Lennon during beetle mania and stuck with after Lennon was killed).
IIRC he was killed by Invading Skrulls during Secret Invasion.

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
Regarding the coding of the Carol/Maria relationship, it's definitely true that a piece of the Marvel formula is that there's a love interest who is actually better than the male lead. Sometimes they're even better at the superhero stuff. This is the actual text of Hope Van Dyne in Ant-Man, which is the only film that actually acknowledges and apologies for this dynamic (still without correcting it until the sequel), but Gamora is the other most blatant example. But more often the lady just has her shit more together emotionally or philosophically and the hero needs to learn to be more like her: Nakia, Jane Foster, Christine Palmer, Pepper Potts. Very often the romantic relationship doesn't quite come together at the end of the first movie, since the hero still has some growing to do. It's not an inerrant pattern (it's not present at all in the Avengers films and is much weaker in all of the sequels), but it's pretty expected especially in the debut movies.

So, who fills this role in Captain Marvel? Well, it's not just a straight gender flip because is sure isn't Fury (he's more of a secondary audience PoV character, since "Vers" was a bit alien and the script benefited from an earthling foil). Maria is the one who Carol has an emotional connection to and has something to teach her so Carol can complete her emotional arc. In a Marvel movie, that's the love interests' job. No wonder it comes off as queer coded.

Amberpup

Validated User
My mom was just talking about three of her McDonald's Mafia (my name for them, the local grandmothers getting together for lunch and gossip) took one of the grandsons to a showing, and all three of them fell asleep because the movie was so "boring" while the kid thought it was so-so.

I found it refreshing, for them the only controversy was just the movie being boring for ladies in their 80's.

Top Bottom